How can I get my 4 year old to mind better?

My 4 year old has a smart mouth on him. Attitude! I will tell him to do something and he will just keep doing it like I haven't said a word to him. He aggravates his sister constantly. I've tried to occupy his time, I've tired the corner, I've tried spanking's, I've tried go to bed. I think I've about tried it all, I cannot get him to mind me whats-so-ever! Any idea's?! Please help..I'm going to pull my hair out:-)

ljstrickland88

Asked by ljstrickland88 at 1:50 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• jsut pick him up and physically put him in his room. i dont let my kids be a part of everything if they wont listen. if they insist on acting in a disrespectful way they have to do so in thioer rooms.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 1:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Talk to his doctor and have him/her recommend a good Psychologist. Also be sure you are always constant with him and don't give up. Take a deep breath and count to 3 or 5.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• try having him help more like set table cook the family meal with you..... but also expect good behaivor ..... for some reason my kids all where extra active at that age.... i was assistant at preschool and they like the extra grown up responsibility
    tabby1catt

Answer by tabby1catt at 1:57 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Find his "currency" whatever is MOST important to him, that he can't live without, and withhold it as punishment. Every child has his own currency. The amount of time it gets withheld has to be reasonable. I've even heard of a child's love of watching the trash truck being withheld!! Of course the trash truck doesn't come very often!! You need to be consistent. I tell the child to look at my eyes to get their attention and then I know they are listening. He is old enough to have the reason something is wrong expalined to him. Make sure he gets praise for doing good and also positive reinforcement. He may be acting out because he doesn't get enough positive praise or may not be getting enough one on one time with you and dad. Each child should get some private time with their parent. Good luck
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:58 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• A couple of book recommendations that I think would help you: SHEPHERDING A CHILD'S HEART by Tedd Tripp and HAVE A NEW KID BY FRIDAY by Kevin Leman. The important thing is to pick one way to discipline and stick with that, and remember that the basic problem is that your child does not respect you as his mother nor as the authority figure in his life. That is the basic issue, and that is the one that needs to be dealt with.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:00 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I dip my finger in vinegar and swipe it on their tongue. I tried time outs, corner, sending to room, taking toys away, and spankings. All worked, for a little bit anyway. Since I used the vinegar they are probably 70% better than before.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I think follow through is key here. The only way he will respect you is if he knows each and every single time he breaks a rule you are on him like ugly on an Osborne! It will be exhausting at first but won't take him long to get you mean business everytime you speak to him.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2010