Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would YOU do in the situation ?

A new neighbor came over to visit ( we have talked a few times at first she was very nice but I quickly realized she is quite rude and has out of control kids) ... Anyways while she was here ( about 30 mintues) her 2 kids were running wild and she wasnt doing anything about it, I had to ( nicely) tell them to stop climbing on furniture and to stop yelling at my 1 y/o son and even calling my 3 year old daughter names ... So as I was trying to hurry the visit up, me and her went into the kitchen to get a recipe and while we were in there ( not even 5 minutes) her 8 year old son got my laptop off of the desk , put it on the floor, and literally jumped on it ! When asked why he did that he said he was mad because I didnt have a trampoline for him to play on... She said sorry and that she feels bad but also sad she will not pay for it but I obviously think she needs to, do you think I need to pursue getting paid ??


Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • If my kid broke something like that I'd definitely pay for it. Any parent that doesn't isn't a nice person. Her kid broke it and she should discipline him and teach him responsibility.

    Answer by sweetmom1007 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

  • Since the child is 8, I would send the cops to her house and make them explain to her what happens to little children who vandilize other people's belongings. Don't bash me either ladies.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 2:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

  • I don't think pursuing it will do you any good, but I definitely wouldn't let them come back in.

    Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

  • I'd take it to small claims court. Maybe it will teach her to control her kids.

    Answer by babyfat5 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

  • definitely don't let her back in your house. But if the laptop was relatively new and worth the cost of court fees I would file a claim against her, and you can add court fees to the claim. Maybe just tell her that you will take her to court if she doesn't pay for it, that might motivate her to be a little more responsible.

    Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

  • i dont know. my sisters kid loaded my cd changer in my car full of change a couple months ago and when i asked her to pay for it she acted liek i was crazy. but shes my sister so i didnt try to make her but maybe you should then she might think about trying to get control of her brats!

    Answer by cassie_m at 2:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

  • I agree with Kiwismommy, unless you take her to small claims court, which is going to cost you more than the laptop.

    Answer by Ati_13 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

  • I think small claims court will be more hassle than it is worth. Also will be expensive. But it gives you all the excuse you need to not let them come back. That peace of mind will be worth more than the laptop in the long run.

    Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 2:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

  • .You can take it to small claims if you like. If you win, you can get your court costs back if you put that in your claim. If you lose, you lose the money for your court cost.


    Answer by Christine0813 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2010