Why don't you/didn't you breast feed

I'm just wondering why mothers choice no to breast feed any more. It seems like the norm now is to formula feed. Why did you choose it, or didn't you. Why would you give us free food if you could help it
( i'm writing a paper on modern mother :) )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I chose to breastfeed for many reasons.
    1.) It is the healthiest choice for MY babies.
    2.) It is the perfect nutrition
    3.) It's FREE
    4.) I'm too lazy to deal with bottles, mixing formula, washing the bottles etc.
    5.) I get great satisfaction knowing I provide all the necessary nourishment for my babies.

I however didn't BF my older two children (BF #3 for 16 months and will BF our baby due in Oct.) due to a lack of support/education. I spent a LOT of my pregnancy with #3 researching BFing. I attribute that to my success.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• You have just entered the drama zone!

I breastfed because when we choose to have a child we committed to making that child's well-being our number one priority. My daughter self-weaned at 23 months; I had full time job the entire time.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I tried to breast feed with both of my babies and failed to produce enough both times. I had lactation consultants, I went on domperidone,I had blessed thistle and fenugreek, I pumped to the point that I was in constant pain to try and get my milk production increased and it didn't work.

I breastfed until there was nothing left and then I'd give them a bottle to fill them up. Both kids weaned themselves off of the breast at 5 months when the little milk I DID have started to dry up.

If I could have exclusively breastfed, I would have but it wasn't an option for me.

I got looks and comments from people for formula feeding all of the time and it was horrible. People shouldn't judge without knowing anything about people's situations.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• i chose to bf. :) Love it!!! still nursing and shes 16 months :D
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I could not BF due to the medication I am on & had to take. It was a very hard choice I had to make. Either take my medication and be healthy or not take it and take a risk of not being here for my babies. I wanted to be here for my babies so I chose not to BF.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I am anemic, and I also have had several health problems. My ob/gyn and pediatrician recommended that I forumula feed because it would be best for baby. I am very aware that breastfeeding is supposedly healthier for baby/makes smarter babies/etc... but I formula fed all four of my kids, and they are all smart, well-rounded, and healthy. S
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I chose to breastfeed because I felt it was the best for my baby. Secondary was that it didn't cost anything.
    erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 2:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I tried with my first son but my milk actually made him sick and he had to be hospitalized, I don't remember what exactly the issue was but I just could not bare the thought of going through that again with my other kids. They are all fine, no issues at all.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 2:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I had to formula feed my first, do to lack of knowledge and lack of support.
    I BF #2 until 6mon and weaned due to bad advice from Pedi!
    I BF #3 and weaned at 19 months and 14 days.

I am done having babies now but if i had anymore i would choose to BF again.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 2:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I formula fed because I wanted to, plain and simple.

I tried nursing my first for one day and HATED it so much I wished I had never had a baby.  Every time she fussed to eat I would burst into tears becuase I just hated it so much and only tried because that's what I was told to do even though I knew I didn't want to do it.  Those first 2 days were absolutely miserable for me.

All 4 of my kids were 100% formula fed and very healthy, smart and happy.  Still debating with this last one due in 11 days.  I might try with this one but I'm still leaning towards formula for my own mental health.  We'll see when the baby gets here.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2010