How old is old enough to see a horror movie?

My husband and I went to the cheap-o movies yesterday ($3 for both of us! what?!? LOL) and we decided we wanted to see NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET. Just to refresh memories: it's about a child molester who was burned alive and now invades teenagers dreams and kills them. Yes, Freddy Krueger was/is a child molester.

We were there and noticed there was 2 separate parents who brought their children. One man brought his son (who looked to be about 7 or 8) and fell asleep (the dad, not the son) and the one woman brought 4 of her children - all between about 1-6 years old. And let them sit there and WATCH this movie. No, there was no nudity but they talked about child molesting and it was violent.

My children are 3 and 7 and my oldest couldn't even watch Haunted Mansion without getting scared. How old is okay to bring small children into a movie like that??

Blubuni99

Asked by Blubuni99 at 2:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Would totally depend on the kid and the movie.  I remember seeing the original Nightmare on Elm Street when I was like 8 or 9.  Scared the crap out of me but we sat through every single one of them (except the last 2, I think).  Didn't scare me half as bad as Poltergeist did and I saw that when I was about 7 or 8 (I'm still deathly afraid of clown dolls, lol).

My kids have watched horror movies, but I avoid the slasher type ones.  I see no point to them.  They've seen lots of vampire/warewolf/zombie movies over the years.  The one that gave them nightmares?  A Goosbumps movie.  My son was 7 and could sit through I Am Legend without blinking but that kid movie scared the crap out of him.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:56 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Every kid is different. My sister is 9 and gets scared at animated things that get dark and have a little spooky music. My daughter is 5 1/2 and loves horror movies, always has. She loved the original Freddy movie, we've watched it countless times here at home.
    I think it just depends on if the kids can handle it and realize it's only a movie, just people dressed up in costumes and playing pretend.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• It really depends on the Child and the parent.
    Personally I wouldn't allow my children to watch horror movies until they are older (my oldest is 8)
    But the again classic horror is a different story... My kids love watching Vincent Price
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 2:57 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• my 4 year old loves scary movies lol
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• That kind of horror movie, somewhere about 15-16.
    Classic Horror movies - from the 40s, 50s, 60s, before the "slasher" movies.....no biggie. I'd go younger....8-10.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My 3yo is fine with that stuff, he's afraid of nothing! My 4yo is completely different! He can't watch them! It's different for each kid, different for each person... If it scares them, don't let them watch it, if not, enjoy the movie!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I was watching Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween at age 5 or 6. I could handle that stuff no problem at all though. It all depends on the child.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2010