does anyone deal with a child with eczema?

if so, what helps

mOmMyWiFeNuRsE3

Asked by mOmMyWiFeNuRsE3 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• All 3 of my kids have it to one extent or another. Aveno seems to work some. But i found some stuff at Wal-Mart called "Udderly Smooth" it has worked the best for us.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 2:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Yes my daughter has had it since birth basically. Her Dr. has prescribed Triamcinolone Cream and it clears it up.
    heidi37217

Answer by heidi37217 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• To stay away from the steroids we ( i and DD have it) use Tea tree oil mixed with a bit of vicks vapo rub. FIL is a dr and he told me about this, works great and does not have crap added to it!!

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• i babysat a boy back in highschool who had it horrible he was only 2 and had to use a sterroid cream, eventually cleared up as he got older though, also my kids all had it some i really liked the aveeno oatmeal bath...too messy? try aquaphor baby wash and lotion...
    srqmommy

Answer by srqmommy at 2:56 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I had it as a kid and there are a lot of things you can do non-medically to help it.

Don't let them have too long of a bath because it will dry it out more and cause it to be more irritated. Use a really good moisturizer(something with oatmeal) after each bath.
    Soak a cloth in icy cold milk and lay it over top of the area several times a day.

Take vitamin E and vitamin A, eat foods rich in fatty acids and omega 3's.
    Zinc, zinc, zinc!!!

I had it on my neck when I was a kid and was horribly teased for it. It HAS gone away but I remember having it and it sucked.
    Hopefully your LO doesn't have it too badly.
    Oh! Calamine lotion works well too.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• my child has the Triamcinolone Cream and i have some kinda lotion I put on her too the doc also said only bathe with dove soap
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My dd has had it since birth. I just put cortisone cream on her like lotion to keep it under control
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 3:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• we had to eventually get a steroid cream...I used baby oatmeal baby wash and eucerin lotion. My son was lucky enough to grow out of it-but i know it can be really bad.....oh and only use baby laundry detergent...I still use one that is free of all dyes and perfumes.
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I use Ceptaphil for my son and it works wonders. The peds. say it is better to use a cream not a lotion as the lotion is more watery and runny and the cream stays on and moisturizes..
    SweetMama34

Answer by SweetMama34 at 5:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• No dairy
    Keep baths short and infrequent
    put coconut oil on the afflicted areas

Answer by rkoloms at 6:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2010