potty training?

I'm thinking I may need to rtake a different approach with my second child, or maybe wait longer.... but my son just turned 2 and has been showing signs of being ready for potty training. He tells me after he pees or poops in his diaper. He likes to sit on the potty like his older brother, or wants to sit on it AFTER he pees or poops. Yesterday he even took off his diaper and started to head for the potty when he had to poop and went poop on the potty. So i decided to put him in underwear like I did with my first and ask him frequently if he had to pee. Well, he sat on the potty several times, never went pee or poop, but then he would go in his underwear a little while after he sat on the potty. So, now I'm confused on what to do.

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• with my oldest DD everytime she went potty i would give her a hershey kiss candy and she was potty trained in one day and after about a week she forgot about the candy. Good Luck.
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• the timing just might be off! have him sit just a few minutes longer. I made my bathroom very child-friendly. There's a basket of some board books and he likes to play with his barney laptop! It's like an office LOL but it keeps my son preoccupied for a few extra minutes because we have the same issue sometimes
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't ask him if he needs to go.. I set my timer for every 20-30 minutes. When the timer goes off I go to them and say potty time. We go to the bathroom and they sit down and try to potty. If they potty they get a sticker and I make a ridiculous big deal about it. After they potty give them a drink too. I aqlways forgo pants on initials training days. I just leave them in a shirt and underwear. If they soil underwear I make a frowny face and say Uh oh..change them and leave it at that. I have potty trained a total of 6 kids. I used this method every single time. Two of them were literally trained in one day. 3 were completely trained inside of three weeks. Only my grandson who is challenged took over a year.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2010