Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Black mold problem

We've been having a black mold problem in our apartment and our apartment isnt doing a thing about it. We have mold where it sgouldn't be. Like by my kids closet which is no where near a window and never has been a spill in there room. Our apartment won't return our phone calls and takes weeks to get back to us on it. We had a major mold problem in our storage unit and they just painted over it. The mold is in our kids room. Its a very dangerous mold but our apartments act like its no big deal. We have no family or friends we can stay with and we dont have any money to put us in a motel till our apartments pull their heads out of their asses and take care of it. Does anyone know who I can report our apartments to for just covering up the mold and not taking care of it right away. Black mold is one of the most dangerous molds. We can bleach it but the apartments said we cant and if we do we have to py over 1000$ to replace it


Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 43 (154,356 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • Call the health department. You are most likely able to break your lease over something like this. I would move.They own the property and are responsible for taking care of this issue. Mold can be VERY harmful.

    Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

  • It is a major health hazard and the apt manager is required by law to fix it. You might even be able to move out until they do and they would have to cover the cost unless they find you a new apartment. Speak to the manager again-go to the office...then ask for the corporate number if you don't get a good answer. I think it's the Attorney General for your state that you can call for further advice and action against your complex. If you threaten with a lawsuit-you will prob get faster service.

    Answer by connorsmom1970 at 3:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

  • I personally wouldn't pay your rent next month, and save up to move somewhere else. There's no excuse for having to live somewhere like that. My friend had this happen and they wondered why they were sick all the time! Document from now on and even back track whenever your kids and you get sick. All doctors apts from being sick....all expenses paid out from being sick. Headaches or anything!
    Take pictures of the mold as well, and document wherever is is and wherever it pops up.

    Answer by CAGirl4 at 3:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

  • Oh...take lots of pictures...and you can even get one of those mold tests from local home depot/Lowes-they are cheap and will be further proof you have a real mold issue.

    Answer by connorsmom1970 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

  • this is our last month and the manager hasnt returned our phone calls all day and her phone is shut off and she isnt home

    Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

  • Thats very dangerous. Your apt. manager has to give you a new apt. or pay for you to stay somewhere else til its fixed. Make sure you contact your health dept. and take pics of it.

    Answer by AWebber212 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

  • You can't just not pay the rent-but from what I understand, you can hold back the rent with a letter stating why and make sure you put it in another account so you can pay it later when they fix the problem.

    I would send a certified letter stating what the problem is and that you are holding the rent until the problem is resolved.

    Answer by connorsmom1970 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

  • sounds like she has issues of her own....send the certified letter and get out of there. It's not worth the potential health hazard.

    Answer by connorsmom1970 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

  • Call your local health department. But never NOT pay the rent because that can come back and bite you in the butt worse.
    The health department might have a way to CONFIRM that it really IS black mold because not ALL black mold is the HARMFUL kind.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:58 PM on Jul. 3, 2010