Should I let the other half see my child?

This is the situation. My sons other half has never liked me after I got pregnant with him. They were never around, never helped out, never even really saw him except on holidays or when it was convenient for them.

Within the last two months my SO's step sister has gotten a lawyer for the family to take him.

They told my SO he can just take the baby and leave (even though I'm in a mom state)

They have convinced and paid for my SO to move to NV (14 hours away from us) for a year at the very earliest.

They took my son's crib when the SO moved leaving my son sleeping on a blanket on the floor until I can buy a crib.

Now all of a sudden they want him for the 4th for

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• i wouldn't let them take my son anywhere. If they invited "both" of you then that is a different story.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 3:14 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I agree. They sound kind of shady from what you've written.

Also, why doesn't your son sleep in your bed with you instead of on the floor? Not bashing, just wondering.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:17 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I would say that they can come see him with your supervision at the destination of your choice. If they want to take you to court to try to take your child away from you then lawyer up and tell them you will see them in court, in the mean time the baby's father can come and see the baby with your supervision. I would not allow anyone else to come and see the child since they are encouraging the father to take the baby away from you. What grounds do they think they have to take your child away, if anything he will have to pay child support if he's not already only now it will be court ordered and he will get visitation of the child. Unless your unfit meaning your in jail/prison a drug addict or abusing and neglecting the child, they can not take your child away.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 3:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Really there sounds like more to this story, but just given what you've said I wouldn't let them see him without me and in a neutral place. You know your SO should be able to make decisions for himself, I don't understand why he had to move because step sister got a lawyer, a lawyer can't make someone leave their family.  This can't be easy for you I hope it works out well for you and your son.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't be calling him my "SO"......
    I wouldn't let him go.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I certainly would not allow my child to go with them. Tell them that until the Judge states otherwise your child is staying with you.
    heidi37217

Answer by heidi37217 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• lol he sleeps on the floor because he tends to turn sideways on the bed and somehow finds a way to kick me in the face all night.. it's just funny he never kicks me anywhere else.  The second time he got me in the nose was the day I decided to make him a bed on the floor.

mssjss

Answer by mssjss at 3:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I would not allow unsupervised visits! It's sounds to me like they are getting ready to take your child. Go and get yourself a lawyer and get visitation/custody in place legally. With him out of state though and with his family acting so suspicious, I would be really careful about letting your child out of your sight!!
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• If you don't have custody settled by the court, then he has as much right to the child as you do, no matter what state you live in. You need to go through the courts and get this settled ASAP!!

Answer by missanc at 3:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Okay, first off, under what grounds do they think the courts are going to remove your child from your care?

Secondly, DO NOT let them take that baby anywhere without your supervision. My cousin didn't have any court ordered visitation for her DD, and one visit her ex decided he was gonna be a jerk and not give her back. The police told her there was nothing they could do because he is the child's father, and there was no custody agreement saying he only got her for certain times. This was a long time ago (she was about 2 or 3 at the time, and is 15 now), so things might be different but just that is enough to scare the crap out of me.

And third, are you still with this guy? Who's allowing his family to step in and try to yank your precious child away from you? If so, i'd be telling him to kick rocks!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 4:50 PM on Jul. 3, 2010