Do you think it's normal for...

Do you think it's normal for a 9 month old to barely be able to sit up by himself... he cannot crawl (at all), he is terribly overweight (6 jars of baby food/8oz formula bottles), he cannot do anything! It seems to crazy but, I think they need to "put him on a diet" as in, cut back on the food/formula.

MDT09

Asked by MDT09 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should let your pediatrician know if your child has not mastered a skill by the outside window of normal range. Those include:

Not rolling over and is 5 months old
    Unable to sit up with support at 8 months
    Not interested in self feeding or scribbling with a crayon at 12 months
    Isn't walking at 18 months
    Hasn't said his first word by 2 years old
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• they need to have him checked by his pediatrician to rule out any health issue and then get educated on proper feeding.
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I think that the parents need to talk to his pediatrician. The crawling isn't a big deal yet. My son is 9 months and just recently started crawling. Some babies never crawl. However, the sitting up thing might concern me. My son has been sitting up since he was 6 months old. If it's do to being overweight, then it's definitely an issue. I also think that 6 jars of baby food is a LOT! It depends on the size of the bottles, but if it's 8 6-8 ounce bottles a day, that's a lot also. Then again, i'm not a doctor or a nutritional expert, so I don't really know. It's definitely something that needs to be addressed with the baby's doctor, though.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• as a RN i agree, crawling doesn't concern me as much as sitting up
    chucks_mama

Answer by chucks_mama at 3:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• i think he is fine. if something was wrong, the doctor's would tell you.
    all babies develop differently. my friends daughter was walking at 6 months and my daughter is almost 6 months older than her's and she just started walking.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 3:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• IMO I think they should talk with his Dr. to see if they should cut back on foods ect. Every child will reach milestones differently but I would be concerned if he were my child.
    heidi37217

Answer by heidi37217 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• due to being * oops
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:23 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My son (who is now 8) was unable to sit by himself until he was almost 11monts. he finally crawled around a year old. he started walking at 17mon. But he was/is above average on height and weight. He ,at a year old, was at 98%for height and weight and off the charts for head. He was constantly eating. at 10mon he would eat a plate of raviolis, a full cup of peas, a full cup of fruit, and a 10oz bottle of formula.

Now his IQ is off the charts!!!
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 3:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• so while he's getting to an age where it's border being concerning it's more his eatting that concerns me.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:43 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• as other have said crawling isn't a big deal but sitting up is.. Can he hold his head up? Cause it can also be other issue that the parents need to address with the doctor. As for the eating babies don't need diets but the parents are feeding him way to much they should cut down on it so his tummy can get back down to normal size
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 3:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2010