Should having a bad day excuse a server (or anyone dealing with customers) from giving good service?

We just got back from having lunch and our service was horrible. The server acted like we were an inconvience. She was very cold and unfriendly. When the manager came by and asked how everything was, I explained that the food was great but the service was horrible. I also told her that this was the first time we have ever received bad service there. The manager apologized and said that she would talk with her and that she was probably having a bad day. Before we left we found out that we weren't the only ones disappointed in the service from her. I work with customers and if I am having a bad day, I leave my grumpiness at home. I personally don't think that one person's bad day constitutes giving someone else a bad day/experience. If it is that bad of a day, then go home. Okay, vent over. How do you feel about this?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 3:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• It would be easy to let a bad day at work affect your service, but if it were something from home or personal life, I found it easy to leave that stuff behind and focus yourself just on work!
    I hate when we get a cold server or even a checker at the store! I used to be in their shoes and I loved my job, even if I had a bad day! :)
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• It excuses them from receiving a tip, so it works out in the end. Doesn't help much with grocery checkers and phone tech support. Bottom line though, whatever goes on in back of the house, front of the house should not know about it. You vent in the kitchen and smile in the dining room.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Her bad day got her crappy tips. yes, people are entitled to have a bad day.
    TheTaoOfKim

Answer by TheTaoOfKim at 3:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• If its like boyfriend troubles then no,but I'd hate to complain only to find her grandma died or something! We got attitude yesterday at Arby's. It had just opened,we were the only ones there,yet we got major attitude from the cashier! I've worked retail enough to know that you leave your troubles at the door or go home. No one cares about your bad day blues!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Having been in service for twenty years and in no way perfect there have been days when I should have stayed home. One time I was sick and they would not let me go home and it turned out I had chicken pox and everyone there was mad because I did not stay home. No excuse and I am sorry for your bad service maybe next time she will be more into the service and less into her bad day. It happens and like I said there is no excuse. But it happens
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Having a bad is no excuse for anyone. When you are working, you pay attention to your job and try to do it well.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I to also work customer sevice and having a bad day is there problem there job is to put a smile on your face and treat your customers as you would want to be treated. I have bad days at work and i would never treat one of my customers like crap if i am having a bad. I want my customers to remember me and know that no matter what when they are waiting to be waited on and they get me they know they are gonna get there stuff the way they want it and they are gonna be happy and come back again. I have customers that will wait for me to wait on them.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• No excuse, you have to pay attention to what job you are doing and do it the best that you can.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I used to be a waitress and bartender, and seriously, some days it was SO hard to be friendly, but I always did it anyways. I swear, I could be an actress after that, lol. If you've never been a server, it's hard to understand the crap they constantly put up with. I can't even begin to explain it. However, you just have to push through it. She was wrong to treat you like that, though.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I agree with butterflyblue19, if you can't do you job properly - go home.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2010