What NOT to put in a compost pile?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 3:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• ANYTHING that is NOT biodegradable! (Metal, glass, rock for some)
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 3:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• meat....

google composting and you'll get good advice...
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 3:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I did google composting, but there are so many different oppinions as to what and what not to compost. For example - some suggest the use of bananas and some say not to. I would just like to know if there are any fruits and veggies, types of grass clippings, or weeds that I should keep out of my compost. And of course I wouldnt put meat in my compost, lol!
    sugahmamma

Comment by sugahmamma (original poster) at 3:54 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Well as far as weeds in compost I don't usualy put them in at all, the seeds can survive the break down process so that when you use the compost the seeds grow right back into weeds.

I put fruit and veggie scraps (yes bananas), coffee grinds, egg shells, saw dust, grass clippings, dry leaves in the fall, and the lint from the dryer trap.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Meat scraps, bones.....No beef, chicken, pork etc....scraps or bones. That's what makes them smell.

Anything vegetable is good, but I wouldn't put anything that has had butter on it in the compost if there is a chance a "critter" might get into it. Grass clippings, melon rinds, corn husks, leaves, egg shells banana peels, fruit peels in general, coffee grinds filter and all, newspaper shredded up.....all good. And about twice a year, turn it all over. Now the cool thing about some compost piles....they will grow some of the seeds you might get in them like pumpkins, tomatoes, etc. Just have fun with it!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Citrus peels will not breakdown in a reasonable amount of time, so most people avoid adding them into their piles. Sawdust is okay only if you either cut down the tree yourself or can verify the wood was not processed with chemicals. Weeds are okay to go in the compost pile IF they have not yet gone to seed or flowered. Plain brown paper bags can be shredded & added to the pile as brown matter if you're short on dry leaves or other dry materials for your pile. If you want an organic pile, don't add any plant or food scraps that have been treated with pesticides or other chemicals and don't add processed shredded paper, espcially any that's been bleached or is printed with non-organic, chemically-based inks.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:17 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• DONT put in dandelion weeds though..I did and then I called a local garden center-I was told it didn't get hot enough to kill the seeds and I would have dandelions in my garden bed if I used the compost...I had to toss the whole thing!!
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1189.html
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 11:23 PM on Jul. 3, 2010