Care packages to Afghanistan

My cousin deployed last week. I have ideas for non food things (the wipes, socks, etc), but I'm wondering if there's anything food-wise that travels well enough that it can be sent there in August without it melting or falling apart?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:02 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I wouldn't chance it but do a Google search and you might find some info there.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Cake in a Jar would be good for a birthday or special occasion. When my husband was in Iraq, I sent him his favorite chips but I put the bag in a plastic container which was a double bonus because he was needing some containers. I also sent beef jerky, ramen noodles in a cup, nuts, single serve mac and cheese, etc.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:07 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Snack mixes, jelly beans, sunflower seeds, chewing gum, nuts, little Debbie's snacks, Gatorade, jawbreakers, Ramen noodles, Mac N Cheese, microwave popcorn, cereal bars/granola bars, M&M's, hot coco mix. Avoid any pork items. Homemade cakes and breads aren't a good idea since they support the growth of bacteria. If you bake chocolate chip cookies, use M&M's instead of chocolate chips since the hard candy shell on an M&M will keep the internal chocolate from melting all over the cookie.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 4:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• When our son was deployed till last March we were advised to stick with the commercially prepared foods.We sent things like the Oreos in individual packages. He preferred the large container of wipes with a lot of ziplocks.Also we found out with an APO address the pre priced boxes at the post office don't have any weight limit.It was amazing what we could get taped into a box..If possible pick up the custom forms earlier.Send our best to him.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 2:34 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Beef jerky that's all beef. As another poster mentioned, avoid pork products.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 10:15 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• When my brother was in Iraq, my mom bought a food saver. She'd bake cookies & brownies and use the food saver to package them. They'd arrive in one peice and my bro said they tasted like she'd just baked them even though it was sometimes 2 weeks before he got them. I sent him a lot of canned fruit, spaghettios, easy mac, canned soup, things like that - my bro had easy access to a microwave though, and I sent him one of those over-sized bowl mugs for "cooking" in. (I made the most of the flat-rate boxes, needless to say!). If we had a light box to send (no cans or anything else heavy) we'd get a bag of his favorite chips - make a very very small hole in the bag, squeeze as much air out as you can, and fold the bag over several times to "reseal" it - they'd arrive fresh every time too. He's not a huge candy fan, but I'd send a variety sometimes for him to share. No chocolate, except in winter! Gum is questionable - it can melt!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:49 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Send our best to him.

Her, but thanks :) And thanks for all the ideas!
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:12 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I've found that nuts, trail mixes, and granola bars travel very well and are great high-energy snacks. Twizzlers aren't as healthy, but they don't make you thirsty when you eat them :)
    SAHM_USAF

Answer by SAHM_USAF at 11:27 AM on Aug. 10, 2010