what do you think of getting cable for a 5 year olds room if up to 6 rooms are free?

We are getting cab;e tomorrow we can get up to 6 rooms free. We are getting it in the livingroom our room and then our 5 year olds bedroom only because it is free. We will have 2 DVR's one in our room and one downstairs. She is pretty good about listening so I was going to tell her what channels she was aloud to watch. The only time she watches tv is for about an hour a day and then she watches it to fall asleep. What di you think of this? Do you think it is to young or is it fine since it is free? We aren't doing my 2.5 year olds room only because we plan on having another baby before long and then she will share a room with her sister.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Both my kiddos have cable in their rooms. Use parental controls to block certain channels.
    heidi37217

Answer by heidi37217 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I would get as many rooms wired for free as possible, but I wouldn't hook a tv up to it yet. It's better for your resale value and some day things may even swap around so that room becomes a den or tv room. You may think of it now as being the babies' room and the 5 year old's room, one day that may be the college kid's room when she's home and the home office where the other kids slept before they grew up and moved out.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My children have cable in there room. It helps that way they can watch what they want & when I decide to watch tv I can watch what I want.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• depends on you, your fam, and the kid.
    For my kid I won't do it. He is almost 7, I could run a cable wire into his room vvery easily - and he wants me to. BUT he will get up in the middle of the night and watch anything and everything, which is why he can't have cable in his room. He lacks the proper judgement of what is ok and what is not.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't, but my daughter is three and she would watch all day if I let her. Also, I don't want her to get into the habit of needing tv to fall asleep. ANything that encourages family to split off into their own separate worlds is a no in my book. Just my opinion.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 4:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I see no problem with it if the child is responsible and mature enough to handle listening and watching when and what you tell her.
    Ki has cable in her room, just the basic hookup, and watches only a couple channels. She just has it for a few of the shows, and only really keeps it on for background. She listens really well, hardly ever breaks the rules and was rewarded with the opportunity to have her own shows in her own room.
    It would only cause a problem if the child became a blob who did nothing but put a dent in the bed/chair watching it 24/7, and never moving.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I agree with kiwismommy, it depends on the child and the maturity level. If a kid will watch the TV all the time, I wouldn't do it. If they still spend a lot of time outside playing with others and listens to you pretty good, it's your call. If I did this, I would not see my kids--ever.LOL
    Another thing is-- you can try it. If it doesn't work, just take it out.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Nope, not my dd. There's way too much crap on tv as it is, even the kid appropriate channels are full of commercials for stuff she doesn't need. I remember watching tv as a kid & then bugging the crap out of my parents to buy me the latest & greatest whatever. They don't need tv to fall asleep to, its not good for their brains, yes there's research out there... just bc something is free doesn't always make it a good idea. To each their own, its your kid you decide. Not in my house!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My 12 year old doesn't even have a television in her room. So, you can see what I think about this here answer. But the choice is yours!
    adoredby3

Answer by adoredby3 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• block all the channels but the kiddie channels and you'll be allright
    angelachristine

Answer by angelachristine at 4:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2010