Would you put your 5-year-old on a plane with your 17-year-old and send them overseas to see their dad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Um I think it depends on how mature the 17 year old is.
    rnl314

Answer by rnl314 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• No way. I do not think that a 17 year old is responsible enough to care for a 5 year old that long. Just my opinion.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 5:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I agree on maturity-if they are mature, absolutely-they are capable of caring for their sibling:)
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 5:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Is it court ordered? I wouldnt put either my 17 yr old or 5 yr old alone on a plane overseas. Make dad come and get them if he wants to see them!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 5:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• It would definitely depend on how mature the 17 year old is. Overseas flights are very long so my main concern would be if the 17 year old had the patience to watch the 5 year old for that long period of time and if the 5 year old actually listens to them.
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 5:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Depends on the 17 year old and how mature they are. Do they know CPR and are they first aid informed lol. I would be scared but I guess if everyone was happy and on the same page and could be trusted than maybe.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 5:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I would not.
    momto1girl3boys

Answer by momto1girl3boys at 5:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• If the 17-year-old is mature enough to take care of the little one then yes. 17 is not too young to do it. I used to babysit all the time since when I was 14- sole care of kids and babies for hours!
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 5:23 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I have to agree, why can't their dad come see them?? Even though I used to baby sit too at the age of 13, I would never have wanted to fly over seas with a 5 year old as a teen. That's too much responsibility and for such a long trip. Just my opinion.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 5:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I think there are a lot of things to consider. Is this the first time that your 17 year old is flying overseas? I flew overseas for the first time when I was 17 but I also had my dad with me. Had he of not been there I am sure that I would of had to have help. Is the 17 year old responsible/mature? How well behaved is the 5 year old? Will the 5 year old listen to the 17 year old? Do you and the 17 year old have a plan if something were to go wrong, such as in this case, do this, in that case, do that. Does the 17 year old know at least a little bit of the language to get around the airport (or are they at least willing to learn?) You will find that there is someone who speaks English at the airport but if you are willing to speak their language it goes a long way. Anyways, the point is if you think that your children are mature enough then go before. Just make sure they know what to do in case something goes wrong.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2010