Religion freedoms hypocritical thinking.

Everyone in the question liked wearing the burqa and favored religious freedom. But some people get ticked when you talk about Jesus. So, it seems like the attitude is its ok to wear something as long as your mouth is shut. Is that tolerance.? Its just talking. How could you expect anyone to live in silence like that about what they think is good? Then no one could talk about any belief or religion.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• There is a difference between talking and force feeding. Remember it is harder to force feed some thing you wear.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:50 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• It's not really a good comparison because they're not trying to put their burqa on me.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:57 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I feel that everyone should be entitled to their own beliefs, and that everyone's beliefs should be respected. We are all granted the freedom to believe as we please, but it shouldn't be pushed onto others (this goes for anyone of any faith, not just Christians). The difference here is the projection onto others. You're allowed to have your personal belief, and to live by it, but your freedoms shouldn't infringe on the freedom others have to believe differently - so going around telling people about Jesus can be seen as disrespectful of their different beliefs and can be seen as an infringement upon their right to believe differently.

Its not talking about Jesus that bothers people, its the assuming others want/need to hear it. Being engaged in a conversation where all parties are willing to discuss openly is one thing, pushing/preaching is another. You can't just initiate with anyone, anywhere-some people don't want to hear.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I do agree that there are times when non-Christians will get more upset when Christianity is mentioned than when other religions are mentioned. It's generally also agreed upon that in the United States, Christian benefit from what is called "Christian Privilege." When you are a Christian, and therefore a member of a majority religion, you might unintentionally be oblivious to the oppression that those of other religions might face or feel--especially at the hands and words of Christians. Some things Christians say, many other groups tend to find marginalizing. Those who others perceive dish out the most "abuse" (for lack of a better word) towards others, are going to be the ones who get it dished back the most.

I'm guilty. I used to be a very ignorant and intolerant Christian looking down my nose at everyone else. God has humbled me and I'm learning to appreciate others as everyone is His creation.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• There are permissible limitations to Freedom of Speech. For example, we agree to the TOS of Cafemom. We cannot post whatever content we want here; we post what CM wants here or they have the right to remove it/us. You do not have the right to proselytize at work if your employer does not allow it. You do not have the right to make remarks based on race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, and other protected attributes while at work. I could go on.

There is a difference between expressing your religion by wearing a cross, wearing a burqua, making the sign of the cross, bowing and praying (so on and so forth) and proselytizing. The former is you governing your OWN behavior and observances and the latter intrudes into another person's own personal right to express and observe what they please without the suggestion that they're wrong or need to change.

(continued)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I don't recall anywhere Christians were told t6ehy're never allowed to talk about God or Jesus. Do not churches still have bulletin boards out front? Do not JW's, Mormons, etc still go door to door and pass out fliers? Are there not billboardsa long the sides of roads that proclaim the news about Jesus.

I have a feeling though you are specifically referring to religion not being allowed to be endorsed by the government which is the first part of the establishment clause. Which means (much to many people's disagreements) that this is NOT a Christian nation and thus Jesus has no more place in our government than Hera, Zeus, Buddah, Thor, or any other god.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Talking about Jesus is fine. Talk about him whenever you want in your personal life, no one is trying to stop you. It's when it enters the realm of public time/space/money that it becomes an issue. Government sponsored talk about Jesus/Buddha/Zues ect... is not acceptable, period. If you want to personally prey before a public meeting, go for it, but don't expect to be lead in a prayer, unless you're at church.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 6:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• You can talk about Jesus and your god all you want. Just don't lead a whole government funded group (schools and such) in a prayer or force them to listen. These people are not forcing everyone around them to wear burqas or using government money to fund them. If you are at the coffee shop with your friends and I am sitting next to you and you are talking about Jesus I have no right to stop you. That is what these woman are doing they are not preaching at people they are walking around minding their business so no it is not Hypocritical to think they should be allowed to wear what they want.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 7:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I see a HUGE difference between preaching and wearing religious garb. Just like we would support a Nun wearing her wimple, or a Jewish man wearing their Kippah, or ANY Christian wearing a cross, or any other religious group simply wearing religious garb. Hell, if you wear a shirt that says Jesus loves you, no one should care. The difference comes in when MY (or anyone that believes differently) is being "preached" do in an active attempt to alter our beliefs. I don't care what you believe in or who you do or don't pray to, and you'll also find me as one of your biggest supporters if your rights are ever in peril, but you need to also understand that tolerance doesn't require agreement or acceptance of abuse. I not only tolerate your difference in beliefs, but support your right to have and live by them, on the other hand, I expect the same in return.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• It is not called Freedom from Religion, it is called Freedom of Religion. Talking rather it be Jesus, Buddah or anthing else should fall under Freedom of Speech. As I am told so many times if I don't like something that I see or hear, turn it off or walk away. So that is also my response to others.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 6:01 PM on Jul. 3, 2010