I want to open my own business

I want to open my own business with a girlfriend off mine, combind, we do all these things, hair, makeup, nails, facials, photography, bartending, wedding cakes/birthday cakes ect. childcare.. I am sure I am forgetting something but anyways.. we currently are running and online clothes store.

this is what we had in mind a place that does hair/makeup ect where we build in a small area for kids to play, while their parents get their nails done ect, but you think it would be too much to add a small section off clothes, and photography, we were wanting to offer like a makeover thing of thing, but I am not sure if that is too much in the same place what do you think

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• Oh wow! No, not at all. I think it would be a smashing success! You're just a jack of all trades, huh? lol.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 6:17 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I honestly think you should slowly add in the other things that you two can do. You may offer too much at once and be in over your head. Just Make sure if you do offer the childcare and what not that you make sure it is licensed. It sounds great but running an online store is a hell of a lot different then opening a physical clothing store, but then you have to worry about everything else too. I would suggest that you make sure 1 or 2 ideas are a success then add more

say you opened a boutique/parlor so clothes and salon, etc...make sure you have clients first because you need to build a good community rapport before you go adding everything else.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 6:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• i think it might be a good idea! i know i once had a chance to do a once in a lifetime sort of thing just like this! they did makeup, hair some clothes and photography and had my picture developed, after having kids and they run you down to a scrub it feels nice for someone else to do this kind of thing for you.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 6:26 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• your best plan of action would be to have generalized areas.. ex. if you want someone to do nails, booth rent it out to someone (generates more income for you anyways while freeing you to focus on the hair and photographs). Set up a floor plan keep nails, hair, and make up somewhat together, while having a separate area for photos and/or shoots.

You can also either hire out someone to monitor the child care area/toys room, or have one of you do it while hiring another person to booth rent for hair to help keep up with clientele and/or hire someone on commission to help pull up the slack. With a business like this, while it sounds grand, you have to make sure you can actually accommodate all the needs you'll be generating to the public. So be sure to write up a business plan so you are sure to be successful. If you have any questions contact me. I've dealt with business plans a lot and am a licensed cosmetologist
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• As for having a retail area, that's fine, but again, you are going to need someone to run the sales on your retail. Be it just clothing or clothing and beauty products, etc, you still need someone to run that area. Possibly a receptionist.

Be sure that you up prices if you are including child care for "free" to cover the costs of any employees, and make sure you have your licenses for ALL things you'll have available. You'll have competition as well, such as places like JCPennies, and other such places (and they offer bennies), so be aware of all your competition as well as your location. If you live in a small town be sure to have a client base already.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:34 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Have you written your business plan?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Hey yeah a salon that serves cocktails and pampers you. All you need is a good name and your ready to go!GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:56 PM on Jul. 3, 2010