Ok this is getting ridiculous!

My daughter is almost 11 months old and she barely eats anything!!!!! She had a routine dr's appointment about a month and a half ago and she was below in average weight. I started her on solids before that appt. Well my doc told me to make sure that she gets 3 full meals, 3 snacks in between and also about 3-4 ounces of formula 4-6 times a day. I have been so worried since that appt that my baby is not getting enough to eat and not enough nutrition. She seems fine and never gets sick. She has energy, but does not eat nearly as much as the doctor said she should be getting. I make her food constantly all day long and she is the pickiest eater! I make her something and she just gives me the ugliest face and spits it out. The only thing she will really eat is cottage cheese and i cant just feed her that all the time! I don't know what to do I am always worried that she is hungry especially when we go somewhere.

BellaBean23

Asked by BellaBean23 at 6:20 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm sorry, but what is the question?
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• try giving her pedisure but first run it by her doctor
    ladybug0614

Answer by ladybug0614 at 6:23 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• The question basically is what do i do? Should i be worried or should i just let her eat when she wants and ignore the whole feeding schedule that my doctor recommended?
    BellaBean23

Comment by BellaBean23 (original poster) at 6:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• You should do it more slowly if this is not a regular thing. My son is a bit younger but because he is so healthy the doc told us we should start him on solids earlier, being that he was at a good weight.

We started out at 2 meals a day...breakfast(within 1 hour after waking up), a sweet veggie or a fruit, home made, not too mushy but sot enough to gum
    and then one dinner (around 7pm),homemade; a veggie, maybe some boiled chicken, cooled of course, for finger food, and a fruit to top it all off.
    Now when I say I give my son this stuff he only eats very little, but the variety will keep him interested

I breastfeed so I'm unsure about formula

and then instead of a lunch we do a snack/lunch consisting of Gerber yogurt melts, or some cubed cheese, etc.

Keep mixing it up, that should make her want to try it. and don't be discouraged if she eats a little, she has a small belly, all babies do.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 6:34 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Is it just the food she is having problems with, or her formula as well? If it's her formula too, I would go back after trying domoniques ideas and talk with the doctor to see if there are other issues at hand..

If she is taking in her formula or choosing formula over food, she is still under a year old and that is okay. Formula up until a little over a year old is more important that solids still.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Can you at least get some fruit into her cottage cheese or some cereal? Sorry, I'm not too much help.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• i would try to sneek other foods in with what she will eat. finely chopped
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 7:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• thanks ladies, yeah I try to put some puree fruit in her cottage cheese and little pieces of bananas with her cheereos, but i feel like the food i am giving her is not helping her gain weight. And that is what the doc wanted. She is healthy and does take her formula but its just getting her to gain some weight is the prob. Any healthy/fattening foods I could get her to try??
    BellaBean23

Comment by BellaBean23 (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• You know some kids are just slender and energetic. Food is not a battle that you can win. I don't believe in fattening babies as long as they are healthy and meeting milestones. We can't all be average!

You can't make her eat. You can offer mor formula since babies arn't as efficient at extracting calories from solidS. Also mealshare, don't have separate eating times for her. Put some table food on her tray and let her be. She may enjoy things like guacamole (avocado is high in good fat and is not too hard to digest). Allow her to self feed. Personally I would avoid grains like cheeries...too hard to digest. Experiment with all kinds of things. warm blueberries from your pancakes, fresh blueberries halved or quarter, kiwi, baked sweetpotato, butternut squash, asparagus...try all sorts of things. Mealtime should be fun not stressful. Put less emphasis on filling her up and more emphasis on fun
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My 2 oldest ds's were healthy eaters. My youngest ds wasn't. At 1 1/2 yrs old, he was still wearing 6-9 month clothing. About the time he turned 3, he was closer to his his height & weight. For him, it was his genetic disposition.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:32 AM on Jul. 4, 2010