Do you think AIDS will be cured in your lifetime?

FRIDAY, July 2 (HealthDay News) -- Research in mice suggests that scientists may have a new lead on using gene therapy against the virus that causes AIDS.

The researchers tinkered with human stem cells and then inserted them into mice where they multiplied into immune system cells that provided protection against infection with HIV, according to a study released online July 2 in Nature Biotechnology.

The results are unlike typical research in animals because the mice have been "humanized": They have human immune systems and resisted a human disease. Still, until research is conducted on humans, there's no way to know if the treatment will work in people. And it may be years until that happens.

But there are high hopes. "It's a one-shot treatment if it works," noted study co-author Paula Cannon, associate professor of molecular microbiology at the University of Southern California.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 6:23 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Its all about money. I wouldn't doubt that there is not already a cure for AIDS. Til they can make the most money off it we will never know about it. Same with cancer. I just wish I had proof of these kinda conspiracies :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• "Only when it becomes the leading cause of death for rich white men. "

Racism, classism, and sexism all in the same sentence, how pretty!  *sarcasm*

You DO realize that more money goes to AIDS research than heart disease or cancer, don't you?  You know, those rich white men diseases.  Yeah, we Americans put more money towards AIDS research than for more common killers of Americans.  Know before you speak.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:57 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I know this is an older link, but check out the president who signed it. None other than GWB. You know, the rich white man that used to live in the White House.

I have no problem with the funding. I have problems with ignorance.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:00 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Treatment, yes. Cure, no.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• At 81 they better hurry up if they are going to do it in my lifetime.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• They will find a cure when they find one for the common cold. They are both viruses that mutate in the same manner. So not likely.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:01 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:58 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• There is no cure for any virus, only treatment. While it would be nice if that weren't the case, I doubt it's going to change any time soon.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• It would be awesome to find a definite treatment that would get rid of the virus, or allow it to run its course WITHOUT causing so much damage to the body! They have been working on this for a long time, now, and they thought they have had a "cure" or a "vaccine" a couple times before. I have a feeling that they are getting close, but the question will be will it be available to ALL those who need it, or to just those who have the means to afford it? That is what concerns me about this research.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• no, but hopfully they will
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 6:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2010