What is the best permanent formula for my 8wk old son, if he keeps getting diarrhea? Isomil Df used temporarily.

MommyMendez10

Asked by MommyMendez10 at 7:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Any iron enriched formula will usually constipate a baby. I used lipil.
    Meladori_Magpie

Answer by Meladori_Magpie at 7:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• We used Nutramigen for my son. He had allergies to milk and soy and it's good for other bowel, colic, and reflux issues as well. I will warn you that it's very expensive. I've heard the price has come down since my son was a baby (5 years ago), but it was around $27 per 12.6oz can then.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 8:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Have you asked your doctor for a recommendation? Also, has the doctor ruled out any causes for the diarrhea other than formula? You want to be careful with diarrhea in such a young baby. I hope your child gets better soon!
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 9:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Is it diarrhea? As in, is he going a few times an hour? One thing I can adivse on with switching formulas is this: Never do it all at once. As in, don't just start a new formula. You have to ease into it. Changing all at once is a huge disruption to their systems. I too had my first son on nutramigen for allergies. When it was time to start introducing a milk based formula back in to make sure he could tolerate it, we did this. I mixed 4 cups at a time. So 15 scoops nutramigen and 1 scoop of new formula. Every time I mixed a new batch it was adjusted by 1 scoop. I am now introducing goats milk for allergies as well and doing it by a half oz at a time and over a lengthly period. But with formula changing be careful. It causes too many problems. We tried soy with both our sons and caused terrible diarrhea. But gradual changes are best. Hope that helped.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I wanted to add that breastmilk is still an option. www.kellymom.com and www.drjacknewman.com
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:14 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Is there any chance of relactation?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:03 PM on Jul. 4, 2010