doctor says strong willed i say not that into it yes the potty question

i have a intelligent almost 4 year old son who is resiting toliet traing like i never expected we went shopping for the potty and underwear and rewards and charts and all the things in the world and still insists on his diaper and i just dont get it his younger brother just turned two and seems alot more into it than my oldest. HELP what did you do with your potty training resist child i dont want to know how easy it was for your childre i would like some help with my problem child

mrswhipple707

Asked by mrswhipple707 at 7:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Boys are hard sometimes, so don't beat yourself up. Def work on the one showing intrest, as this may inspire you other child to want the same kind of positive attention. In the meantime, don't make it any sort of battle because if he knows this even slightly makes you nuts he will run with it. http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/toddler/toddlerproblems/toilet_training_resistance.html is just one website on google that can offer insight as to why he is doing this and how to help you get what you want and have a happy child in the bargin. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• you started potty training very old, you could really potty train your 2 year old at the same time as your4 year old since he is showing interest. I say ditch the diaper, he is old enough to be potty trained and carry around some extra clothes. Maybe the embarrassment from peeing on himself, or the possibility will help. Also, potty train the 2 year old, 2 is a great age to potty train.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• If you make potty training a battle, guess what-your son will resist. Give him a little "motivation": have him wear underwear during the day. When he has accidents, help him clean himself up (but don't do it by yourself). Don't make him feel bad because he had the accident. Be non-chalant about it. When he DOES go pee pee/poop in the toilet, make a HUGE deal about it!! Stickers, Hotwheel cars, a few M&M's...whatever makes it clear to him that he is doing a great job!!

I know he's 4 years old, but be patient. He WILL get it. I don't know many adults who are not potty-trained, so take heart! :-)

Good luck. :-)
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:01 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My daughter was trained by age 2. She wanted to do it. I did help her a lot and I always had to be constant with her.
    Augusta

Answer by Augusta at 8:03 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I say take the diapers away. My son did not want to potty train; he wanted to keep wearing pullups. Right after his third birthday, we took the pullups away completely. The first few days were pretty bad, but within 2 weeks, he was having very few accidents.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I would try taking the diapers away. Make a big deal out of getting rid of the diapers and getting big boy underwear. Make a big deal of it every time he goes on the potty. Don't make a big deal out of him not going.

Try staying home for a few days. Set a timer and every 10-15 minutes go to the bathroom and have him sit on/stand by the toilet. Try to limit distractions so that he can concentrate on when he needs to use the bathroom - don't have 50 toys out at once, don't do anything new and exciting, etc. Have your husband bring him with him every day he goes to the bathroom. When your husband is gone, bring him with you. Show him the process over and over again. Since it is summer, you could try having him run around naked. For some, it works better than underwear. Come up with a reward system. Have a prize for if he makes it a day, then a week, then a month. Make it fun for him. Good luck.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 12:16 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• for the first response i did start when he was younger it just seems now that his brother is interested hes lost all interest and refuses to go to the potty thank you
    mrswhipple707

Comment by mrswhipple707 (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2010