engine overheating...just don't know what it is

okay i was driving for at least 30 mins before my car started to overheat. now, the knotch went over the red knotch and was smoking. now we pull over checked where its smoking from it's smoking from the side by the engine. so we pour anti-freeze in the radiator and it doesnt go down. so we took a chance and drove it home, 30 mins later the car is overheating, the oil light blinks on and off and the engine light pops on, plus it's a knocking noise. the next day to took it to autozone and the code read a temp sensor, we change it and the car went back to normal temp but it still smokes and now the gears are shifting hard. it still cranks and drives. we can't firgure out what it is, and after fixing the temp sensor the light is still on.....what could it be?

angelsmommy0721

Asked by angelsmommy0721 at 7:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Travel

• check your thermostat......they are easy to replace.....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 7:38 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• What kind of car is it? Does it have an aluminum motor? Is it still making a noise? Is it still overheating?
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 7:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• When is the last time you had your oil changed? I would start there. You need to put COOLANT in the coolant reservoir, not anti-freeze (it's summer, your engine is not going to freeze up, lol). But DEFINITELY get that oil changed!!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 7:43 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• no it's not overheating, i have a honda accord 96 and it's making noise when it's in park.
    angelsmommy0721

Comment by angelsmommy0721 (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Hhhmm. Check your transmission fluid. Don't take it and have the fluid changed, never change transmission fluid unless you have had the car since new and had it done when it should have been according to the manufacturer. If the transmission fluid is low put some in it and see if that helps. If it is a ticking noise that is probably your lifters and you should probably change the oil and put a high a quality oil in (not syntec but just something like Valvoline). I believe the Accords do have aluminum motors and they are known to be noisy. Problem with aluminum motors is that they warp very easily, when your car overheated you may have warped your motor. If this is the problem it will be costly. But if it was warped it would still be overheating.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• It sound like the thermostat, and check it quickly because I went through this a couple of years ago with my old car, and it was my radiator. I had to replace the entire radiator, no fun at all. I have a new car now, but not to say I won't have anymore car problems.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 7:54 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• i just changed the radiator and the radiator hose before it even started this problem. but i can actually see smoke coming from the engine.
    angelsmommy0721

Comment by angelsmommy0721 (original poster) at 8:02 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• IMO I am thinking you have a warped head gasket. What throws me off is that your car is no longer overheating. If it was your thermostat your car would still be overheating. Have you checked your radiator fluid lately? Are the levels about the same?
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 8:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Have they checked your water pump? Usually when people change raidiators they have the water pumps checked also since they usually go hand in hand.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 8:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• yes, i tried the car today and let it sit for 30 mins and never overheated...but the shifting was hard, i dnt want to drive it and mess up something else. how would i know if it's a head gasket?
    angelsmommy0721

Comment by angelsmommy0721 (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2010