Do You Know Someone Who Needs Assistance Daily?

Was wondering if you know someone who could use help daily so they wouldn't have to go to a nursing home? I am thinking about offering this service and was wondering if there is a real need for it. I know my mom had a lady come in and do some house chores and a little shopping for her so she could continue to stay in her home instead of going in a nursing home. This lady did the things that my mom no longer could do. This was years ago though.

I love helping others and I just wanted to see how many people knew of other's that needed this type of service.

Thank you for your response.

Red54

Asked by Red54 at 8:03 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes. Ask about putting up notes at the senior centers. Be sure that you are first aid and CPR certified. Non-nursing tasks such as doing laundry, shopping, trips to the doctor, vacuuming and cleaning the kitchen and bathroom. My mother needs this type of help. She can't get down to the basement anymore, which is where her laundry is and the litter boxes. My sister though lives adjacent and takes care of enough tasks that Mom can stay in her house.

Answer by Bmat at 8:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My grandmother had a home healthcare aid come in and bath her, get her dressed, do some light house keeping, etc. The problem that I think you are going to run into is that there are several companies that offer these services and also accept Medicare. You could check to see if you did start this business if you too could accept Medicare as well. You would probably have to go through a CNA program but most of those are only 6-10 weeks long. If you want to stick with just grocery shopping, housekeeping, etc and none of the medical things then I would also extend it to more than just the elderly. You could do errands or grocery shopping for working moms, moms on maternity leave, single guys, etc. Cont..

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Ya know, why stop there? I have a daughter who is twenty something with two kids and works full time. She has no car right now and I am sick to death of running her here and there. You could also think about someone in this situation. You could offer to take them to work, pick them up, take them to the grocery store, etc.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:30 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Be cafeful about transporting people. Depending on your insurance and state/local laws it can be a bit tricky doing it the legal way. You might have to get special insurance and licenses to do that and it could be costly.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

•  Cont.. I am in the process of starting this type of business myself. If you have anymore questions please feel free to pm me or join the group Mommy Movers and Shakers. They are a great group for any questions you might have for starting your own business.

JeremysMom