What is the Gold Standard for being a SAHM?

What do you think is the job of a stay at home mom?

What responsibilities does she have and what are the responsibilities of the other members of the family?

MillyPontipee

Asked by MillyPontipee at 8:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Having happy, healthy, well-adjusted children. The rest is just icing.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Everybody helps out. Mom is like the "general contractor" making sure everything getting done and everyones needs are met, but there a lot of the work needs to be sub-contracted out to kids and hubs.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:33 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I really think that it would very from situation to situation. I know when my kids were little, when I stayed at home with them, it was my job to do everything- housework, take care of kids, take them to Dr.'s, etc. But even when I was working I was doing the same thing. My schedule just got very full! LOL! My ex husband worked from sun up to sun down, so he was literally exhausted when he got home.

Now that I stay at home, without children, I really have nothing better to do than clean the house, do the wash, and run the errands.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I don't think there is a "Gold Standard" per se. I think that everyones situation is different. One mom might spend some time volunteering at the school because her children are all in school, another might have two little ones at home all day and that isn't possible for her. I agree with the first poster--have happy, healthy, well adjusted children. The rest is just going to depend on what your family is like.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• What Julie said.

some days my dishes don't get done. It happens. but my babies are loved all day long, every day.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:29 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• It's about taking care of your family to the best of your ability. Some days that is going to mean you're 100% focused on the kids. Maybe they're sick or they have a big recital that will eat up the whole day or you're doing a special field trip. Some days your house might really need attention and the kids will get less of you, maybe play alone or watch a cartoon or go to a friends house for a few hours to play. In an ideal world the SAHM has time to feed, clothe, and educate her children while keeping her home clean and welcoming, preparing meals and such for the family and any guests, and taking care of her husband. Some days we manage that, some days we have to call it good if we can cross the room without twisting ankles and we get around to calling for pizza delivery for dinner.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2010