What treatment do you use for plantar faciitis? What are your symptoms?

I just got diagnosed with this last week. I'm recovering from surgery on my ankle and I've had foot problems on that foot for years now. I've researched it a bit since the diagnosis, and my symptoms don't seem to match the description. My foot does hurt 1st thing in the morning, but the pain is worse as the day goes on, not the other way around like it says. I'm in physical therapy and I'm doing all sorts of stretches and things to try and reverse it, so I am under a professional's care. :) I'm just trying to get some real life help.

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Health

• I had cortisone shots twice. Each time I felt better the same day, and it lasted for about 3 weeks the first time. After the second one, I haven't notice the pain again.
    My cousin is doing stretches AND icing her feet for hers', she's afraid of the shots. (I don't blame her!) She thinks hers are getting better too.
    We are in our 50's btw.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 9:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I had physical therapy on mine and kept up with the exercises and stretches. I also had a couple cortisone shots in the area. I have no problem at all with it now.

Answer by Bmat at 9:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• If your PT folks know what they are doing they will fix it. Two years ago I would have laughed if someone told me to use PT to fix things. Then I had to use them and it was like some sort of miracle, not for PF but for something else. Just hang in there. You will see amazing results with those stretches. Give it time

Answer by admckenzie at 9:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Did the shots help? My mom had one in her shoulder and she said the shot hurt BAD. But if it allows me to walk with minimal pain during the day while I'm healing, I might go ahead and do it.
    corbysmom531

Comment by corbysmom531 (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• The PT told me to put a golf ball under my foot and kind of roll it around. This loosens up the muscles. I also had great results from wearing Earth Shoes.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My MIL went to a doctor that did cryogenic treatment. It worked very well for her.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 9:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I had it after having my son.................. did some reading, and then decided to put on my tennis shoes with arch supports (just store bought inserts) and put them on immediately after getting up every day...and not taking them off until bedtime. I missed going barefoot, or lounging in socks, but after doing that for about 5 months, they got better and now my feet are completely normal
    energygirl

Answer by energygirl at 9:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• The shots hurt a lot- they went into an inflamed area after all, but in a couple weeks they did work. Between those and the therapy I have no pain at all in my foot now.

Answer by Bmat at 9:23 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I am in physical therapy to regain motion and strength after my ankle repair I just had done. My physical therapist was the one that caught the plantar faciitis. It's been slowly getting worse fora bout a month, and my ankle surgery was three months ago. I've already been doing stretches to stretch my Achilles tendon and my calf. She just added the golf ball thing that was mentioned, some other arch stretches, and ice. It's hurting a lot more than it was, and it gets so bad sometimes I can't walk in tennis shoes. Maybe I'll go for the cortisone shots in a month if this doesn't seem to be better by then. Thank you for the answers ladies!!!
    corbysmom531

Comment by corbysmom531 (original poster) at 10:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I have a foot brace that I wear at night during flare-ups. I also use ice (frozen water bottle), Advil and elevation. Also the shoes you wear can help/hurt, make sure they have good support. I also notice flare-ups when I increase the # of miles that I run.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2010