How do I stop my 2 year old from picking up her baby brother?

I have a 6 week old and if I have to leave the room for a minute (ie. to use the bathroom or something) she will try to pick him up. Even when I put him in his bassinet, she'll still try to pick him up. What would you recommend for teaching her that it's not okay? We're doing time outs, but she isn't getting it.

degsyuna

Asked by degsyuna at 9:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• does she have her own baby doll that she can "take care of"?
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• sorry it won't be popular but in your shoes i would smack her ass, this is a potentially deadly situation and she needs to know that when you say Don't pick up the baby you mean Don't pick up the baby. She is old enough to understand consequences and time outs but this needs to be nipped in the bud and she needs to understand the seriousness of the situation, and until she stops i would take one or the other to the bathroom with you.

trying2survive

Answer by trying2survive at 10:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• There may not be nothing you can do. I have this same problem and have had it since Isabell was born. She is almost 8 months old and her brother will be 3 next month. He will not leave her alone. I have beat his bottom so to speak. Isabell has a certain scream when she doesn't want him to bother her. I just have to keep a close eye on him or her in your case.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 10:18 PM on Jul. 3, 2010