Bring home kittens

We have a husky/shepherd mix who is about a year and a half old, and we're talking about taking two little kittens off of my MIL's hands, but I'm worried about our dog - I'm not scared of her hurting them on purpose because she's really sweet and has never bothered any of the other cats she's been around, but she can be hyper and excitable, so I'm just wondering if there's any way we can help the dog adjust so we don't have a lot of chasing or over excitement, lol.

Anyone have any advice?

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 9:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Pets

• Bring the kittens home and hold them in your hands and let the dog sniff and get use to them in your hands. This should do the trick. Do it offen and let your Husky know that she is still loved too. Everything should be ok.
    Red54

Answer by Red54 at 9:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• You may be suprised at how fast the kittens can move out of a dogs way,lol. That and kittens tend to be very playful so it may end up being your dog running away from the kittens,lol.I would introduce them by bringing the kittens home in a pet carrier and let them stay in there for a little while and let your dog smell them through the cage. When you do let the kittens out, have the dog outside or in a seperate room, just so the kittens can become aquainted with thier new environment. After awhile, bring the dog in. They may be frightened at first and may even hide, this should pass within a few days...and I bet the 3 of them become best friends. :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:23 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Also call them by your dog's name. For example if her name is Rosy, say Rosy's kitties, nice Rosy's kitties. Rub Rosy, and then rub the kitties so that some of her scent gets on them. Be sure to give her lots of lovin', too so that she doesn't feel jealous.

Answer by Bmat at 9:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Be sure the kitties and the dog have their own sleeping areas until the excitement in the house is died down, i would hate to hear of an accident.

Your dog may not even react excitedly, maybe he will react different. Sometimes they react as new parents because they may sense some type of abandonment on the kitties.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 1:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2010