Does anyone know anything about Poly vi sol vitamins?

I've read where it says that it stains the teeth. My daughter is 9 1/2 months old. The doctor put her on poly vi sol because she is a little anemic. She started the vitamins about 4 days ago. She only has her two bottom teeth and I noticed yesterday a small black spot on one of them. I never noticed it until yesterday, so I'm not sure if it's from the vitamins or if I need to be worried about something else. Of course I tried brushing and rubbing it off. No luck.

bskelly

Asked by bskelly at 9:49 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would call a pediatric dentist and get an opinion from them
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Yep, my oldest used it for maybe a week when she was a baby. My old ped also recommended it, it smells and taste like crap. I stopped giving her that and started her on a liquid whole food organic vitamin.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• We use it - have since DS was 4 months old, he's 12 months now. He has 8 teeth and no staining. He takes the vitamins right from the dropper. I would talk to your doctor or a dentist.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Oh I just read why your LO was on it. Are you giving the poly vi sol plus iron? I think iron would stain. It can turn the stool black so I would think that it could stain teeth.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:26 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• No, I didn't know there was one plus iron. The vits do smell like crap. But she doesn't seem to mind the taste. She takes it with no problem at all. I haven't had to deal with staining of the clothes because she takes it all. It's just this one little black spot on her tooth. Her teeth are yellowed or browned. I suppose a part of me is hoping it's the vitamin and not some kind of decay. I have been so careful with the bottle and with sweets, etc. Sigh!
    bskelly

Comment by bskelly (original poster) at 10:46 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Ok, first off it is actually normal for babies to come back as anemic around the 9-12 month age span. Second off, is it the vitamin with iron or not? The one with iron will be almost black and the one without is like yellow brownish color. My youngest has been prescribed both. I only give him the ones without the iron. They do yellow his teeth a bit. When I did give him the iron ones it did cause his teeth to have black spots.

Honestly, if it was me, I would get the ones without iron if you don't have them. And then just start giving her oatmeal for breakfast every morning. Oatmeal (and I mean real oatmeal not baby oatmeal) is high in iron. That is what I did with my oldest when he came back anemic at 9 months and by 12 months he was all better. That is when I started researching and found out anemia at that age is normal.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:04 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• It is not the one with iron. I'm not worried at this time that she is anemic. I've always been anemic. She's a very healthy baby. Good idea on the oatmeal. Thanks! I hope I can get her to eat it. I tried giving her the flavored kind and she won't eat it. I'm going to just try plain oatmeal like you said and make sure I get iron enriched foods in a couple of times a week. Thanks again.
    bskelly

Comment by bskelly (original poster) at 9:18 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My kids didn't like the flavored stuff at first either. They did regular, plain stuff for months. Another suggestion is smoothies. They are a great way to get fruit and veggies in a kid. I usually make fruit smoothies and sneak some like spinach in there. Good luck!
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:29 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• How low were her levels and what is her diet? My DD had SLIGHTLY low iron at that age, and I didn't use the vitamins. I was able to increase the iron in her diet, and when we went back to the dr, she freaked out, retested her then and there, and then, was shocked. Told me to continue whatever I was doing because it worked. I wouldn't make any medical recommendations though, as I'm not a professional, and if her levels are VERY low, supplemental vitamins might be necessary, all I'm saying is that if they're a little low, you might not need them.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I've used that vitamin since my boys were born. The nurses in the NICU told me to mix it with a few ounces of formula. now we put it in their juice or cereal. we've never had a problem with stains on their teeth since we give it to them this way.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 3:04 PM on Jul. 4, 2010