How should i handle a jealous big brother?

I have a 6 weeks old daughter and my 2 year old has been acting out a lot, especiallysince i returned to work. Everytime i leave he starts screaming and is even worse when my fiance and my son's stepdad takes her with and he stays with pappy. Even though we alternate between the two so that he gets to go and she stays home. he's been getting really bad about getting into everything as well and things he stopped doing b4 she was born he's started back. i just don't know what to do

TwistdClick3

Asked by TwistdClick3 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm sorry...I find the same thing with my 2 boys. They are now 3 and 5 and it still continues!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:57 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Reward good behavior. I am using MnM's to potty train my son :) he gets a few everytime he pees and poos in the potty. You could use stickers to reward good behavior and sad faces for bad. When he has more good marks than bad he gets to do something special or get something special.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 10:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• its all about teaching and modeling. Be as equal to them as possible, and make sure the older one plays a role in everything. Tell him he is important to helping the little sis. Show him how one is for you, one is for her. Now its her turn, now its your turn. This is what she has to do for you (not hit, not scream or cry, play gentle, not take his favorite thing or toys, etc.) Its just a patience game until they "get it", which may take a long long time. We have two boys about a year old, w very diff temperaments. One is demanding and the other shy, both loud, both jealous easy of each other and the parents. Its hard. We make sure we show them how we treat each of them equally (even if slightly different) Keep it up, dont back down, and make time for both of them. When you make special time with older one tell him- "this is your special time just like I gave her special time this morning." best wishes-
    dianiewill

Answer by dianiewill at 11:17 AM on Jul. 6, 2010