I posted a day or so about the lady that lives below us beating on our door at midnight the other night.

For those of you that didn't read the post. She came beating on my door at 12:10 am. She scared my SLEEPING baby half to death saying she is calling the cops and CPS on us cause our baby cries all the time. Anyway finally I called the cops on her. I have no problem if she has a concern and wants to talk about it ut for gods sake do it at a decent hour. But anyway. Now that she scared my 19 month old that night ever since he has started crying and shaking when the doorell rings or the phone or the alarm on the stove. Now there are fireworks going off like crazy and the poor little thing is shaking like a leaf. :( I don't know how to calm him and he is so upset! Anyones child afraid of loud noise? How do you deal with is besides hugging them close to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What a b!! I am sorry it happened to you! I think it is going to be that way for awhile. Talk to your baby's doctor about what he or she suggests.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 9:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• my neighbors have several dogs that they leave out at 2 in the morning. my two year old used to be scared of dogs barking because of them. he'd wake up and start screaming from the sound of the dog barking. What i did was introduce him to my parents' dog and should him where the noise came from. I don't kno if it'll help but maybe you could try show him what the noises are...let him ring the doorbell himself or hold the phone. it might get him to understand what the noises are and be less afraid of them.
    TwistdClick3

Answer by TwistdClick3 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• wow...what a nice neighbor. at least on the up side, no one will get away with child abuse around her...but then again, cps may not ever take her seriously if she is always reporting people who are not abusive. crying wolf is never a good thing. if your baby is startled by loud noises, the best thing you can do is just remain calm and try your best to speak to him in a calm soothing voice. you might try rubbing his head or letting him smell some lavender essential oil. sometimes teething tablets can calm children who are a little jumpy. good luck.
    june_kitten

Answer by june_kitten at 10:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Awh what a stupid bitch! UGHHH I get so mad when I read things like this. I suggest maybe putting ear muffs on the little guy to maybe muffle the sound? Just hold him close and reassure him that everything is okay. Try not to act upset that he's upset because he'll pick up on that. Act like everything is fine and that the noises are no big deal. Hopefully he'll get over it soon! Poor guy. :(
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• OMG! I would be furious! Our second cries all the time! Even now that he is two he cries and screams very loudly all the time! Our neighbors across the street told us they can hear him. Our first child never did that stuff. Some kids just cry more I guess. She should mind her own business! Stupid B! I am sorry your son is so frightened now! Maybe you can try to laugh and be silly the next time he acts scared and make him laugh while you are comforting him? I'm not sure.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Wow she sounds crazy and I would watch her. ((((HUGS))) When my son was two he had cancer and he had a chemo therapy appt and after our ride left us high and dry well we had to get on the bus and this time he was really sick some lady spent the whole time yelling at me about how I should have him at home. I looked at her and said how did you want me to get him home? After for a couple months my son had a proble on the bus it did not last because I had to help him ease him back on. maybe you can have some good people ring the doorbell and try to convince him to open the door. GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• You may have to make it a happy positive thing for him to hear the bell ring. Maybe have a friend come over, someone he really likes and have them ring the bell...then grandma...until he doesn't associate it with that scary lady. Good luck and I'm sorry that lun did that to you guys.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I agree with Bridget. If you have someone positive like Grandma, or a good friend at the door when the bell rings, it may help your little one understand that it's not always that scary lady at the door. I am so sorry this happened to you, and will say a prayer that things get better for you soon!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 2:47 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My daughter had colic for 4 months or more. That lady would not have appreciated that either. I think there are circumstances where people need to be a little understanding. I think she could've picked a better time to come to the door too. And yes, babies can be succeptible to loud noises and voices that are unfamiliar to them as well.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 4, 2010