Rather Upsetting Story... Preacher arrested for expressing religious beliefs against Homosexuality...

Thoughts on this story? Was it right for the police to arrest him if he did condemn homosexuality? Is it a breech of the freedom of speech policy? Do you think that the Police Community Support Officer, who was gay, took the matter personally or professionally? Is this a case of shunning religious freedom in a largely secular society?

A Christian street preacher in Cumbria has been arrested and charged with a crime after he expressed his religious beliefs about homosexual conduct.

Link below & my answer below.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:07 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• SabrinaMBowen

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I think he took the statements personally. Anyone should be allowed to express their opinions on a situation without punishment.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Hmmm doesn't seem right. Was there more to the story? I mean people say they don't like drinking and they don't get arrested. Idk doesn't sound right.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I'm looking for other articles about this... This link is just the news report...

Personally I think this is just wrong! I mean, I don't agree with the views of most "Christians" but I will always support their right to say what they think, regardless of my beliefs. I know it's England, but honestly, I have always thought they were a little better on this stuff than the US... Maybe I'm wrong!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• it does seem strange. i don't think anyone should be arrested for speaking, unless they are threatening to harm or being verbally abusive to someone. this story does not really make any sense...it does not seem lawful at all.
    june_kitten

Answer by june_kitten at 10:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Well, first, this happened in England- different country, different laws. I don't know much about England's laws but if he didn't do what they are accusing him of then I feel bad for him. However, if he as a street preacher was going around and shouting on the streets "Homo's are going to hell", then I can see where the police would arrest him for public disturbance.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I think its outrageous that he was arrested. Seems that he was just voicing his opinion as billions of people do every day on a multitude of topics. I do think that the police officer was offended and acted on his emotions...not something police officers need to be doing. That man has every right to say he believes homosexuality is a sin, just as everyone else who disagrees with him can say its not.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I'm sure they arrested him for being a public nuisance.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• It doesnt seem right, but of course this is just the preacher's side of the story. everyone should have the right to express their opinion about the matter, people in politics do it all the time and you don't see them getting arrested. I just think there is more to the story than this. i'm sure the police officer took it personally, as many people would, but if that is the only reason than it's not right at all.
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 10:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Here is the follow up story, I'm still looking for THIS story...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/cumbria/10174393.stm

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Jul. 3, 2010