Would you let your kids do this?

My two daughters ages 4 & 6 will be spending the week with their grandparents who have a pool. Tonight my MIL told my husband that they were planning on renting scuba gear and letting the girls try scuba diving around the pool. She assured us they're would be an adult with them at all times. This just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I'd like to hear some other opinions.

lovemydivas

Asked by lovemydivas at 10:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• If it's TRUE scuba diving no. They are not old enough. If you need reinforcement, call a local place that does scuba diving. Are the inlaws certified to be giving lessons? If not, I would NOT feel comfortable at all. WIthout proper know how, that could be a dangerous situation.
    SassyStinger

Answer by SassyStinger at 9:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Honestly, no. My husband is a certified scuba diver and we have a pool but he is not going to let our son do it until he is old enough to go to the classes. Besides adult scuba gear would not fit a 4 or 6 year old child and it is important that the gear fits (weights, goggles, etc)
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Nope at 4 and 6 they are not old enough for that. Just the thought has me shivering!
    MillyPontipee

Answer by MillyPontipee at 10:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• No! I had an adult friend who had been scuba diving before just die in an accident. He drown. There is no way a 4 and 6 year old will understand how to do it safely. Put your foot down and say no, absolutely not.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 10:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• If it's more like snorkeling I guess as long there is an adult but renting scuba gear sounds like a big deal and they are too young. What if they get curious and want to try it with grandparents asleep? Maybe look up on a scuba website what the requirements are? I know my friend in high school took classes for weeks to scuba dive in the Bahamas. It isn't really something you just play around with I didn't think.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• HELL NO!  RENTED SCUBA GEAR IS GROSS TO BEGIN WITH AND YOU HAVE NO CLUE HOW WELL THEY CLEANED IT AFTER THE LAST PERSON USED IT!

Not to mention the safety issues are ones that should not be undertaken by ANYONE except the child's parents.  I would kibosh that ASAP and likely not let my kids go to their house at all if that is what they think is ok to do with my children.

Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:13 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• And before anyone jumps on me for being overprotective I'll just say when you've seen the stuff I have in my job the word "overprotective" makes no sense. You can never be too careful. Nobody ever thinks "it" can happen to them and when it does happen it's too late. Look at the stats on children dying from "preventable accidents"....all of those kids had parents just like us.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:52 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I wouldn't. It could still be dangerous even in shallow pool water. My 8 year old niece was over yesterday and my brother wanted to put her in the pool with his scuba gear. He's certified and so are her parents. They said no and he understood. They all understood the risks. Diving in shallow water can actually be very dangerous because as you come to the surface the air in your lungs expands. If you come up too quickly you can get an air embolism. Your in laws might not even realize the risks and your kids definitely don't.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 9:09 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Is it truely scuba diving? Or just more like snorkeling?
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• As long as there is an adult present there should not be any problems. I would let my kids do it.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2010