Would you be willing to pay double for things like food (meat, veggies, fruit & dairy) if you KNEW without doubt there were NO illegals working any part of the process?

This is a question that tends to come to my mind every time we get in to the "illegal alien" discussions on here. Illegal immigrants are coming here and working for WAY less than any US citizen would work for, most times less than a half of min. wage. Companies in turn are able to keep prices low and cater to the US's demand for cheap & fast...

So, would YOU be willing to be more, if you knew that the food only came from farms and/or slaughter houses and companies which ONLY hired US Citizens and paid them fairly? Would it worth it to you, or would you prefer to complain about the illegals and still enjoy cheap & fast?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:03 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't complain about about illegal aliens as I feel their lives must have been pretty deplorable to sneak over here in the conditions they have to be here. In turn, no I wouldn't paid twice as much for food as we are just making it as it is. However I think this is a great questions for those who do have issues with illegal migrant workers, to see if they would put their money where their mouth is. I think it's similar to Vegans and Organic families who definitely need to spend more money to buy the foods that they believe in and probably are the best choices for any family.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Just another lame excuse to keep letting illegals into the country..

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:20 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Honestly. If the other products were still out there for half as much as something else I would still buy the cheaper whether illegals made it or not.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• There are butcher places that you can be guaranteed that there were no illegals having anything to do with the cattle or the butcher place and it isn't double the price.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

We have a couple in my atea where I buy meats and vegs and they are actually a bit cheaper and much better quality.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:33 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I didn't read all the questions but why do you feel obligated to buy your meat from the store? when you can find a local farmer who will give you a hell of a deal and the meat is farm fresh not factory fresh
    and what is wrong with a farmers market? for those who cannot grow there own?
    Why do you have to DEPEND on your food coming from unknown sources?
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:44 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• BTW, I kill and package my own meat. It's a quarter of the cost of store-bought meat and it's organic, grass-fed and free-range. How does a dollar a pound sound, even for tenderloin?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:27 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• And I have NEVER so much as seen a butcher shop or farmer that sells meat. You don't always have the option in little town America to go to those places or just can't afford them!

You don't look then. Meat is way cheaper if you buy it from a farmer and they are everywhere. ESPECIALLY small town America.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:52 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I am one that it just doesn't bother me to know that they are working here.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I don't complain about the illegals, and I like it cheap and fast.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 11:11 PM on Jul. 3, 2010