Breastfeeding and drinking

Is it ok to have a wine cooler when breastfeeding? Just one? I keep hearing so many different answers...so yes ok, or should I pump before hand?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• idk, i would pump b4 just to make sure!
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• It's ok. I used to drink a glass of wine in the afternoon before breastfeeding my son because had a hard time falling asleep. One glass is fine. If you were going out partying I would say dump and bump afterwards but one glass won't hurt. Enjoy!
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I meant pump and dump sorry....must be obsessed with the new format and BUMPS ha ha ha ha
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• yes, you should pump before hand. Make sure you have pumped enough.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• One drink is fine. There is no need to pump and dump. The experts in the breastfeeding group say if you're sober enough to drive you're sober enough to nurse. Check out kellymom for more info.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 11:27 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• A drink (or, maybe 2...especially if we're talking something as light as a wine cooler) is fine. No worries momma!
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 11:58 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• You don't need to pump and dump. There is NO point to it. Alcohol leaves the milk supply at the same rate it leaves the blood supply. So if you are sober enough to drive you are sober enough to breastfeed. And I second checking out kellymom for more information.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:40 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• If I'm going to have a drink, I drink 1-2 drinks after I nurse. As long as you're good to drive, you're good to nurse. No need to pump and dump. Obviously if you are going to get drunk, you'll want to pump beforehand.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:58 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• One is fine. My rule is 1-2. More then that, I'd wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing again.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 4, 2010