lights in tanning bed question,hopefully a owner of 1 can answer to

IF I decide to tan this summer and IF I decided to us a tanning bed,how do I know if the owner(s) of the beds are telling the truth about the age of the bulbs in the beds?

Last year I used a Turbo bed,and it wasn't anything spacial. New owner's have taken over the business that has this particular bed is at and told me they put in new bulbs. They have other beds there as well but I what to know if there are ways to tell besides using a bed over & over.KWIM?

SherriX2

Asked by SherriX2 at 11:39 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• ok heres what you do...get in that paticular bed for your normal time limit..if you come out pink or a little burned then you know the bulbs have been changed...i tan constantly from early jan thru say nov and i know when the bulbs have been changed bc even tho im tanned really well i still get a lil pink you will be able to tell by how hot you feel in the bed etc
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 10:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I will just add that sun beds do not guarantee you won't get skin cancer. A lot of people who have been using sun beds for years have gotten skin cancer. Research has been done about this.
    joysings

Answer by joysings at 5:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I used to work at a tanning salon and the only time they ever put new bulbs in is when 1 burned out. So I'm sure some of the bulbs are newer, but I doubt anyone would just throw out still working bulbs, for the sake of just having new ones. We even advertised that we had new bulbs in the beds. Which was completely a lie I guess.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:43 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• i don't think there's anyway of knowing unless you knew exactly the date the knew bulbs were put in, and how many users that particular bed had afterwards. at least, you couldn't tell when i worked in a salon that had beds. people asked us all the time how new/old the bulbs were, and if i said ,''i just changed them yesterday' or 'i changed them last month', who could prove it? there was no 'timer' on the beds themselves, like a an electric meter on your house.
    idk, maybe the beds have changed in ten years.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:45 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• our tanning place in town changed them out every year before the spring break rush and that was it.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• How long are bulbs supposed to last? I know everyone's beds had heavy use in May & June do to proms and grads. I tan fast and dark,but still I dont want to waste money.But what can I do?

SherriX2

Comment by SherriX2 (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Jul. 4, 2010