How long did it take to potty train your child?

My son is 2 1/2(3 in oct.) and he gets the idea of going on the potty but isnt doing it consistently. What could I do to help? He is in pull ups.

JacobsMommy05

Asked by JacobsMommy05 at 11:43 PM on Jul. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its been a long slow process with both of my kids. Lots of back and forth with making it. My 5yo DS was reliably day and night potty trained from the time he was 3.5 until a few months ago and now were having serious bed wetting issues (I was on bedrest, we started a new homeschool curriculum, and then, of course, we had a new baby). My 2yo kind of potty trained 6m ago, then stopped using the toilet when I got sick. Now, at 2.5 she does good about 85% of the time for peeing in the potty and half and half for pooping--- and, with the issues her older brother is having at night, she's actually more likely to be dry in the morning than he is.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 11:48 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• It didn't take my daughter long at all. Consistency was the key - every time I had to go to the bathroom, I took her with me. I sat her on her potty and read books to her until she went. She was so interested in the books that the focus was taken off the pressure to potty and before long, she would come to get me when she had to go. I would still go in with her and read her stories until she was finished. Her favorite was Once Upon a Potty (they make boy and girl versions) and the story is about the potty and one little child's success - very cute, but it does describe the potty parts frankly, but tastefully.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• Well one of my kids potty trained herself in 3 days!!! One of my other kids it a whole YEAR!!!!
    Truluv4ever

Answer by Truluv4ever at 11:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My DD 3 days too. Just went right to underwear. Boys peed right away but took a few months to poop in the potty.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• It took my 2 1/2 year old a good 3 days of really good training. of course there were a few accidents after that, but now i can count on her not having one, even at night. I tried pull ups with my older daughter and discovered they just didnt work. what works best IMO is just underwear, all day no matter what, no matter how many accidents. consistency is key. the only time i would put a pull up on her was at night i would sneak one on her when she was already asleep. Good luck:)
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 11:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• My son was 4. Once I left him alone with all the rewards,stickers and stuff it was like one day he woke up and did it and was done.
    cortneydmorris

Answer by cortneydmorris at 11:57 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• The entire process took us YEARS with our oldest. We started taking him to the potty every hour when he was 15mos, but he wasn't fully trained til almost 4yrs... He still has the occasional accident, but it's rare.

The little one will be 3 in July & we are letting him lead rather than starting another war.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:59 PM on Jul. 3, 2010

• I have 3 stories I could tell but I will go with the most recent :) my son will be 3 aug 6th I tried everything! He refused to go most of the time in the potty. Just recently I filled a jar with MnM's. Everytime he poops in the potty he gets some. If he goes all day with out an accident with pee he gets some after supper. This is working so far for us. I ran out of pull ups 3 days ago and just didn't buy any more. So far so good and no night accidents! Yay
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 4, 2010