Tell me again why I should take my 2 year old's bottle from her?

Her teeth are fine.
She drinks her milk from them a few times per day.
Her speech development is fine.
She's healthy.
She's happy.

So why exactly am I supposed to take her bottle away at this point?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jul. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well looking at the answers so far I bet mine will be voted down too, oh well.

My oldest had his bottle until he was 2.5 years old to the day. He threw them away himself. He used them for milk in the morning and at night before bed. So I let him have his bottle. A sippy is NO different than a bottle. And he was flat out refusing to use a straw cup (because I didn't trust him with an open cup). So I gave him his bottle. A study in California a few years ago showed that nearly half or more 2-3 year olds were still using a bottle. I don't see the big deal with bottles is. And my now 4 year old has perfect teeth and great speech development.

And FTR, I had my bottle till I was 4. I only used it in the morning. My teeth are great and I had no speech delays.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:39 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Because it looks ridiculous to see a 2 year old with a bottle? Tell me why she can't use a sippy cup or regular cup? Whether it's hurting her health or not what's the point?
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:05 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• well its up to you, but to me it seems unessesary for a 2 yr old to have a bottle. But I guess as long as its not negitivly impacting her health or emotional development, then its up to you. But I would speak to a dentist and verify with them that it won't impact her teeth in the long run.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:03 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• The transition from bottle to sippy cup can be difficult. It's our job as parents to ease the transition and yet, still allow some room for resistance to change. Get those synapses expanding!

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 12:04 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• If those reasons are the reasons she still has a bottle, she will have one til she's in kindergarten then. I personally started to allow my son to drink from a straw and out of a cup at 6months. I have to hold the cup, but they have the straw cups that are no spill and he uses that on his own. For me it's not an issue of health or teeth, it's an issue of, it's just that the nipple on a bottle is used to replicate the nipple of a human as much as possible for newborns to survive, she's not a newborn/infant anymore though. JMO
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:04 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My son was drinking from open cups at 2. bottles are for babies, she is not a baby.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I know that the bottle caused baby bottle rot in my middle child. But he was obsessed with apple juice which had a lot to do with it. Otherwise I don't know why you'd take it away.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:02 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Your daughter is still using a bottle because she is growing up too fast for you. I agree, bottles are for babies

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really how can you say that when you have no information other than the original question?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:20 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Sounds to me you want her to stay a baby forever. She is going to get older regardly. God knows I wish it didn't go by so fast.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:24 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My kids are almost two and I switched them from using the bottles I used to feed them with to sippy cups. Is it the actual BOTTLE itself that you think you should stop using?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:08 AM on Jul. 4, 2010