Does it bother you when people say "retarded"?

Like if someone says "how retarded" or calls another person "retarded" who isn't...or maybe even is for that matter. I am only 22 and don't personally know anyone who is mentally handicapped but this really irks me when people say it, especially on here because you never know what mothers are reading what you've said.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Jul. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I really don't like it and I tell people so they won't repeatedly say it around me. I understand that people are immune to the meaning of it. Like most things, unless you know someone who has a developmental disability it probably won't occur to you that it is very offensive to some people. My nieces have autism and are technically mentally retarded (though that diagnoses in the DSM-IV has recently been changed to omit "mental retardation" to "intellectual disability") and I have seen my sister have her feelings hurt many times when people use the word 'retard' to describe something 'stupid' or 'lame'.

I also dislike the use of the word gay for things people don't like. AND I REALLY dislike when people say "Oh, I didn't mean like actually retarded... I meant like GAY", or vice versa.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 12:18 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Yes it does! I have a sister and a neice both with downs and I hate when people say that! That and stupid or dumb!
    I agree with you.
    Homeschoolmom99

Answer by Homeschoolmom99 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My son has ADHD and autism and I've had kids ask me at the store if he was retarded!!!! I mean obviously they heard it somewhere and I think it's bad parenting to allow your kids to ask or say something like that. I simply reply no he's not he just has a hard time learning things the way you do. It does bother me because my son is disabled in a way from other kids and they just don't understand. I've also had people as me "if he was slow". For him NO he's not, but to others I'm sure it seams like it.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 12:18 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Like the R-Word site says:

"Our language frames how we think about others."

As long as a word signifying people with an intellectual disability is synonymous with "stupid," or "less-than" then I guess a whole section of society will just have to deal with being demeaned. I'm all for freedom of speech, but I am not for senseless cruelty. I think NOT saying a word (whether it be f*g, n*gger, r*tard, or wh*re) is the least I can do to be considerate of others.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 12:54 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• It offends me
    Amber211

Answer by Amber211 at 12:11 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• No. It does not bother me. I don't think people say it to degrade handicapped folks.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:11 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I used to take care of mentally handicapped people, I loved them.
    Amber211

Answer by Amber211 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• No. I think a person's words are particularly revealing about the nature of their character, education and mentality. Instead of trying to teach a person how to talk, I listen carefully to determine where they are in life. It's rude to offer advise, unasked. I pick my friends carefully, like I pick my fruit! LOL
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 12:13 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• This about sums it up

http://r-word.org/

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:16 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Ewadun- Just curious: do you feel the same way if that word is a hateful racial slur?

To me, "retard" used that way is teh same. It is a slur meant to dehumanize a sect of the population. I won't tolerate either. That's just me.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 12:20 AM on Jul. 4, 2010