How do you ger wallpaper (border) off a wall?

DH and I switched rooms with our DD last summer and now we are stuck with cars border on our wall lol. She was into cars so anyway I was wanting to know what I can use to get border off of the wall?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 12:24 AM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• What I do is peel off the top layer of the wallpaper and then saturate what's left on the wall with a spray bottle of water - just plain water. Give it a minute or so soak in and it will peel off really easily. The glue is activated by water, so water reactivates it and I use a putty knife to peel it off. But the key is to get the top layer off because otherwise the water can't get at the glue. If it won't separate you can buy specialty tools to perforate the paper so the water will be able to get to the glue. They're pretty cheap, but if you can peel the top layer then it generally comes off in bigger chunks and makes for easier clean up.

And then of course you need to clean the wall with TSP to really remove any adhesive residue before you paint or anything.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:44 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• use wall paper remover. Spray it on, let it sit, it comes right off... usually.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:26 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I worked for a painter and she used some wallpaper remover gel stuff. It was mixed up and put in a squirt bottle. We poke holes in the border and then squirt it on. Once it was fully saturated, we would start tearing and scraping.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:27 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• You can also use laundry detergent to remove the wallpaper. The enzymes break down the glue in the wallpaper, you puncture the paper, saturate it with a detergent/water mix, let it sit for a little bit, and peel or scrape it off.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:00 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Even cheaper than the wallpaper removers. DOWNY (or any liquid softener- not detergent) and Hot water!!! And it makes the room smell great. You'll have to score the wall paper (as with any remover) so that the downy mix soaks into the wallpaper all the way to the wall. We JUST did our bathroom border yesterday. Worked like a charm.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

Thank you so much I did this and it came right off.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2010