At what age is a child old enough to make her lunch for camp,on a daily basis?

I have a 10 year old daughter who spends half of her time with her father.I am bothered that my daughter said"all of the other kids mommys fix there kids lunch,she(stepmom)makes me fix mine everyday"I would like to know how other moms feel about this.We have already completed 2 custody evals and the stepmoms results were that she has a controlling personality,she frequently screams at my daughter and tried to do an intrafamily adoption to adopt my child,it was denied.She has said in the past"why did you tell him that he was her dad"(I requested a blood test)she cant have children and I think she resents the fact that her husband has a child with someone else.Its a lot of little things that my daughter tells me that have me concerned that she mistreats her,and have me wondering if its because its not her daughter.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Jul. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Is this about step mom?? or your wondering if your daughter should pack her own lunch? you should pack your childs lunch for as many years as she is with you because one day you will turn around and she will be on her own..enjoy doing things for her and no need to push the independence while she is under 14
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:30 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I don't think its necessary for you to make her lunch for her everyday. I also don't think it would kill you to help her. Perhaps she can make her own lunch 3 days out of the week, and you can do it 2 days out of the week. Or vice verse.

As far at the stepmom thing ...i don't know what to tell you. Good luck.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:32 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My kids make their own lunch almost every day.  They are 10, 8, 7 and 4.  They have their choice of sandwiches, leftovers and other things.  They also know how to use the microwave (well, the older 2 know now) so I'm teaching them to heat things like chicken nuggets and fish sticks.  They are very independent and I refuse to baby them when they can do things for themselves.  If they all want something that has to be cooked then I usually make it for them but otherwise they get it themselves (breakfast, too).

The times they have had to take a lunch to school they packed it themselves starting in 2nd grade

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:45 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• A ten year old can certainly fix her own lunch every day. I fix lunches for all three of us every day; I don't like sharing the kitchen in the mornings. I put notes in my daughter's lunch and my spouse's lunch.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:15 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I am the mom who asked this question.To be clear...my daughter was complaining to me that her stepmom made her fix her own lunch everyday and I was not sure how to take that.Thank you for all input
    jordan28

Answer by jordan28 at 10:22 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My daughter is 8 and during school she asked me if she could make her own, I let her. So sometimes I'll make it and sometimes she will...Depends on the kid

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:25 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Not knowing the full situation, I would say that sometimes things can come across differently coming from the step parent

My niece once complained that her step Dad yelled alot and she didnt like him, my younger sis was upset and asking if we should do something

I asked WHY is he yelling? Turns out YELLING is the LEAST of which I would do@! LOL

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My children were making their own lunches for school at about age 7 - 2nd grade. PB and J doesn't take extreme skills.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:13 PM on Jul. 4, 2010