Am I the only person that has had this problem...?

My ex and I were together for 4 1/2 years and I was head over heals for him...our break up was a bad one and it's been over a year and I've finally started dating again...well my SO has started to call me "baby" and I know that's a generic nickname but my ex always called me "baby" and it just gets to me when SO says it...I feel bad because I don't wanna say anything to him and get him thinking that I'm still stuck on my ex...it's just weird for me to hear someone else call me that. Has anyone had this problem before? What did you do or what do you suggest?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• youll get over it. if you dont, then maybe hint to him something like, " im not your baby (while smiling, of course) im your honey" or other such pet name as you like. maybe he will get the hint without you having to say the reason why you dont like it.
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 1:59 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Just tell him about it. Let him know that it would mean a lot to you if he could come up with a more personal nickname.
    shoot. DH and i are married but sometimes we still say "AH! don't say that. my ex used to say it all the time". It's not because we're stuck, it's because we've moved on and don't need or want to be reminded.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:59 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• i do like jeanniegirls approach, but from my experience, ...most guys don't get hints. If you want them to know something, you have to be blunt.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:00 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• What outstandingLove said
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 2:02 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I'd just tell him. If he's anything like my man, he doesn't want to be anything like anyone else, anyway. Maybe all you would have to say would be, "My ex used to call me that." and he'd quit. If not, just say, "My ex called me that and it feels weird to be called that." That shouldn't make him feel bad....?
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 2:04 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Outstandinglove is wise :) I'd vote her answer up but I am out :(
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 2:22 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Any time a guy would call me a generic name like beby or sweety. I would tell them, my name is _____.

Answer by louise2 at 7:18 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Just let him know tht name is something you don't want to be called...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 9:04 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Don't start a new relationship with hiding things. Just tell him simply. Like " I know you're being affectionate, and I love that, but I don't like to be caled 'baby'. Can you call me (insert acceptable pet name here)?" He doesn't HAVE to know it's because of your ex..
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 3:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Are you still stuck on your ex?
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 3:19 PM on Jul. 4, 2010