Is it ok to have a few drinks while breastfeeding?

Is it ok to have a few beers at a summer bbq or at the beach when you are breastfeeding a 2 month old? How long should I wait before I feed again?

mommyck

Asked by mommyck at 2:27 AM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try pumping so milk before you go (if you can) that way you have it on hand. Otherwise from what I have been told you need to at least wait a hour to 2 hours before BFing.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 2:28 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I meant some not so.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 2:29 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• you need to pump and dump for two-four hours after your first drink. i would not do it. but that is just me. i would not take the chance.
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 2:33 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I would have maybe half a drink right after you feed her at the most... definitely not a couple.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:47 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I never even considered it. Just in case.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 3:20 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Yes, you can. The rule is, if you can drive, you can nurse. I have a glass of wine 1-2 times a week & I've been nursing my daughter for over 7 months now. Here is some information on drinking while breastfeeding.

http://kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 5:38 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• There is no need to pump and dump. Alcohol stays in ur milk like it does in ur blood stream. u don't have to 'pump and dump' ur blood after having a drink before u can drive a car again.

Maybe make them into shandy's or something. That way u still have the taste, don't feel like u r missing out, but don't have as much alcohol. Definitely take a few bottles with u to give ur LO.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

• occasional use of alcohol (1-2 drinks) does not appear to be harmful.
    •The American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Drugs classifies alcohol (ethanol) as a “Maternal Medication Usually Compatible With Breastfeeding.” The American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Breastfeeding notes: "An occasional celebratory single, small alcoholic drink is acceptable, but breastfeeding should be avoided for 2 hrs
    •than 2% of the alcohol consumed reaches her blood and milk
    M2TandM

Answer by M2TandM at 5:46 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• You don't need to pump and dump. There is NO point to it. Alcohol leaves the milk supply at the same rate it leaves the blood supply. So if you are sober enough to drive you are sober enough to breastfeed. And I second checking out kellymom for more information.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:01 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• HELL Yes! Have yourself a few beers, I feed my baby right before... I can only drink 2 or so beers before I just don't feel like drinking more... I usually wait 2 hours before I feed again... If you don't "feel" it anymore than your BM is fine.
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 9:44 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• If I'm going to drink, I always drink 1-2 drinks right after nursing. No need to pump and dump. Have a couple drinks and have a good time.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:49 AM on Jul. 4, 2010