Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Night Terrors?

My son is 2, and I know he has night terrors, and somewhat how to "help" him cope with them. I need to find a doctor in WA, that actually knows about this disorder, does anyone know of a doctor?


Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 AM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Has there been any sort of trauma in your child's life? If there has been, seeing a child psychologist may be beneficial. My niece had night terrors because of abandonment issues, and although we never wound up needing it, it was suggested that we may need to take her to a specialist. Night terrors, as opposed to typical nightmares, are usually triggered by something, and figuring out what that something is and how it affects your child can help you to understand how to help them.

    Answer by prinzesstephi at 2:45 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

  • What part of Washington are you in? I live in Vancouver, but my children see an amazing doctor in Portland who helped my niece (I had custody at the time) with night terrors when she was about two and a half. It's a lot of patience, reassurance, and trying to make sure they have a routine. Comfort items such as a stuffed animal or a blanket help, as well as night lights.

    Answer by prinzesstephi at 3:07 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

  • I live in Puyallup WA, but I am willing to travel. The doctors around here don't listen to me, and don't care. They think that you should just let them (the child) deal with it.

    Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 3:16 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

  • Nothing traumatic has happened in his life...
    I had problems with it when I was a child. Most doctors or psychiatrists won't even look at my son concerning these disorders because they don't think he can get them at this early an age. I am trying to find a specialist no one specializes in children my sons age though.

    Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 3:25 AM on Jul. 5, 2010