So my 17 month old doesnt really listen to me much...

She does, but not like she should
She listens to her Daddy perfectly! to the T! but when it comes to me for some reason she doesnt.

Im stern with her, i explain stuff to her, i even do a rule now , if she doesnt listen to me and i have to repeat myself more than twice, shes in a short time out.

I dont give in and smile or laugh or anything. I dont understand it!

What are some other things i can try? I've been consistent and its still not working.

thanks!

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:33 AM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• hmmm well lol she is only 17 months old so keep in mind she has about a minute and a half attention span, rule of thumb is 1 minute for every year until about age 4-5. Also ifyour with her all day and dad isnt then of course she is going to listen to him because he is new and exciting every afternoon when he gets home so she is more interested in what he has to say.

I know it drives you nuts i have been there, just stay the course keep following through and eventually she will understand you mean what you say but in all honesty at this age you are only going to get so far, their little minds go at warp speed and they dont always completely get the concept of rules.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:40 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• She is extremely smart for her age, but i understand what you're saying.....

it is just frustrating.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 3:43 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My LO just turned 2 and she is going thur the same thing but she doesn't listen to me and im the one that is one is at work more then her father and she is home with him more then me. Just keep doing what your doing and she wil start to understand what is right and wrong. 3 ring is right there little minds are on warp speed. Maybe it's a girl thing also.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:45 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• LOL My oldest has a very high IQ and by 18 months we had conversations, people freaked when they heard him talk but when we were home and i said clean up your toys or its time for bed etc i would get the blank stare like i was speaking a foreign language lol, i used time outs ALOT. It drove me crazy knowing i had this child who was smart but just did not grasp the idea of doing what he was told, eventually we got there. I made certain time of the day every day a routine such as meal times, clean up, bed, bath. I found that by doing everything at the same time every day or as close to it as possible he began to understand. A year later we found out he had Aspergers but i went through this same thing with my other two children and the routine is what always saved us because by doing it everyday at the same time it was expected by them.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:49 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• raemommy it very well could be a girl thing my boys got over this phase really quick my daughter is about to turn 6 and still wont listen, just tongiht her daddy sat her down for a talk about why we dont talk back to mom lol. I am telling you after two boys a girl is just plain scary, but i love her and wouldnt trade her for anything :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:52 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Yep, my 2 year old use to listen so well to both of us.. Now hes testing the waters to see what he can and can't do with which one of us. I hear it gets worse with age. Sigh** Thats what my sister says. lol while laughing. =/ haha
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 3:53 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• i feel like shes in time out a lot, and other than this shes a perfect angel.

MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 3:53 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Does she get positive reinforcement for the good things she does? Praise for the good can go a long way. Good luck
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:34 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Sounds like she is testing you momma...my son just turned 18 months old and man has it been a struggle to get him to listen too. Also he is around me all day long and around his daddy in the morning and evening so he listens to his daddy much better than me too. All we can do as parents is be consitant in what we are doing, so that we don't confuse them with the right and wrong thing. I know its hard, and some days I just wanna cry cuz I feel like I have failed, but we just have to keep teaching them. Good luck hun
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2010