What is the worst question you have been asked in a job interview?

Asked by rkoloms at 6:50 AM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• My current employer ask me if my SO was a drug dealer!! I was like WTF
    heidi37217

Answer by heidi37217 at 7:05 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I was actualy asked "Do you think you could do as good of a job as someone who did not have kids?"
    I was stunned. They didn't offer me the job, but that's fine, with that attitude, I no longer wanted it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:13 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• layh41407 - that was a totally illegal question and should have been reported to the EEOC!

Comment by rkoloms (original poster) at 8:03 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Why should we hire you? I hate that question.
    reesemom

Answer by reesemom at 8:35 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• reesemom - "Why should we hire you" is actually a great question! It gives you an opportunity to tie your skills and experience to the potential employer. The potential employer wants to know how you can help the organization be better; this is when you tell them that.

Comment by rkoloms (original poster) at 8:49 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• "If your babysitter called and said your child needed to go to the ER, would you leave work early? What if he or she were in the ER and it was time for your shift, would you stay or come to work?"
    I was stunned. Kid first! Needless to say, I never worked there.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:41 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I have to agree with reesemom, "Why should we hire you?" is an awful question. Not everyone can sell themselves to an employer. Of course I hate interviews. The worst interview I had though was a phone interview for a bank teller job and there was a specific question that she asked that made it bad, it was her attitude towards me. It was as if she was trying to find a reason to eliminate me and all of the questions were geared towards that end.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 10:41 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Describe in detail what you had for dinner last night...

I hadn't eaten the day before... And couldn't remember what I had the day before... So I froze!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I also was asked "As a single mom do you think you can perform this job? Or will taking of care of your children get in the way?" I was just stunned!
    scarlett0720

Answer by scarlett0720 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Actually Scarlett I think that's a more than valid question. SOME single moms will use that fact to their advantage to get out of going to work or get out of things like overtime or extra work. I've known many a single mom who would show up for work an hour late & want to leave early & then complain when others were promoted above them. I would have to say that's a great question to ask - although moms who are like that, would just lie anyways.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:14 PM on Jul. 4, 2010