half breast milk/half formula? getting the benefits of breast milk?

hi i don't really want to go into the whole story but my son is breast fed every time but also supplemented with formula and pumped breast milk so i will just say that he was a preemie and that a woman's milk supply does not respond to a pump as well as it does to a newborn baby! i have been working to decrease supplements but it's very difficult. believe me both BFing and bottle-feeding is not fun! my older son was BF for over 2 years and i hope to meet that goal w/ this child as well but it's a much bigger challenge this time.

so to my question:
i just wondered whether you all thought that having about half breast milk is giving my son most of the benefits as though he was 100% bf...?

he does have booby baby poops so that makes mommy a little happy ;)

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 8:26 AM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The benefits of breastfeeding are considered "dose dependent", meaning the higher the "dose" (or amount of breastmilk) the higher the benefits. So while 100% breastmilk is best, ANY amount of breastmilk is beneficial. Some research shows as little as 4 oz a day give lots of antibody benefits. (The lower the volume of milk being produced the higher the concentration of antibodies).
    To maximize benefits keep this in mind: Your milk has the highest level of antibodies when your baby takes it directly from your breast, and is second-best when it is freshly pumped. The longer it is stored, the more of these antibodies are deactivated. Freezing destroys even more antibodies. (Your frozen milk still provides excellent nutrition and protection for your baby, just not as good as directly from the breast or freshly pumped.)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I don't know that its as much benefit as 100% booby feeding, but I've always been told that every ounce counts!
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 8:28 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Any little bit of breast milk gives tremendous benefits.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:56 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• He is still getting the nutrients he needs from your breastmilk. Most lactation consultants will tell you that as long as he's getting some breastmilk then it's ok.

Good luck :)
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:31 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I agree he is still getting boobie milk so tht is really good!!
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 9:06 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Every bit counts. There are things in your milk that cannot be duplicated.

Also, visit this link. This video will help your pumping out put. It makes a huge difference!
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:19 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Any breastmilk is better then no breastmilk. If you're looking for advice or help on getting exclusively to breast, let us know, many of us can help.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:46 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Oh, PS, are you able to nurse at all, or is the breast milk that she's getting pumped milk?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:52 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Absolutely, every drop counts. Have you tried joining a bfing group here to see if anyone has any suggestions? I'm in one that's been incredibly helpful
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 1:25 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• How old is baby? You may still be able to bring in a full supply. I was able to bring in a milk supply for an adopted baby. What worked best for me was to use a Lact-Aid for the formula instead of bottles. Plus, with baby getting everything at the breast I did not need to pump. (I made sure baby nursed at least 8-12 times every 24 hours). I had to keep using some formula until DD was 6 months old.  Once she started taking solids I weaned her off the last of the formula she was getting, so I've been able to EBF (with solids) since 6 months.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:01 PM on Jul. 4, 2010