any advice on getting my son to sleep later?

he'll be 3 in October. he has been waking up at 5:30 or 6:00 everyday all summer. (during the winter he was usually waking up around 6:30 or 7:00)

he pretty much wakes up at the time whether he goes to bed at 7:00 or at 8:30. & any later than that is too late for him.

IT'S NOT JUST THAT WE ARE WANTING TO BE LAZY AND SLEEP IN. LOL. my husband works 2nd shift, so gets to bed around midnight. i have to start back to work in 3 weeks, 1st shift, and so my husband will have to get up when our son gets up and i really want him to be able to sleep more than 5 or 6 hrs every night!!!!

we tried aluminum foil on his windows and that didn't matter.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My advice was to keep him up later. Maybe you could try just a few minutes every night. until you get him to about 10 - 10:30 or so. Good Luck!!
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:10 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I dont have much advice. You could try black out curtains, but I don't know if that would work. My kids are like that too, so I've just adjusted my schedule to match theirs. They go to bed between 7 and 8 every night, and they're up right around 6 (since I put black out curtains in their rooms). Just let your husband sleep a little later, and you get up with your son! We used to like to sleep in, but once you have kids, luxuries like that go out the window!
    rockinmomto2

Answer by rockinmomto2 at 4:57 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My son wakes up at 7.30 without fail every morning. I tried later bedtime, no deal. Good luck!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:45 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• This might sound crazy, and probably difficult during the summer months, but you might actually try giving him an earlier bedtime. We did that with our son, and the earlier we put him to bed, the longer he would sleep. Sometimes if kids are too tired when they go to bed, they don't sleep as long as they should. I really wouldn't suggest pushing his bedtime much later. That will probably only result in a tired, crabby child during the day. Kids this age need their sleep, especially during the summer when they are probably even more active! We're struggling with the daylight issue now, but we certainly notice that he's better the earlier he goes to bed!
    tan11526

Answer by tan11526 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2010