Why the disconnect? Four part question.

Some of the same people who argue minimum wage is not enough to support a family also argue we need illegal aliens who work for less than minimum wage to keep prices low.

How can illegal aliens support a family on less than minimum wage?

Why is it okay to exploit illegal aliens to keep food prices low?

Isn't it discrimination to support the exploitation of another race/nationality?

If you support exploitation, what does that make you?

MunchMunch

Asked by MunchMunch at 9:44 AM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• How can illegal aliens support a family on less than minimum wage?  Extreme frugality.

Why is it okay to exploit illegal aliens to keep food prices low?  It's not. 

Isn't it discrimination to support the exploitation of another race/nationality?  Yes it is.

If you support exploitation, what does that make you?  Those that support it are are racists in denial. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:31 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• well first of all illlegal aliens are that illegla, they need to leave and come back legally and then demand they get paid a fair wage like everyone else. those who employ illegal employees should be HIGH AND STRONGLY FINED BY THE GOVERNMENT. our government needs to make it too expensive to make money off the backs of illegals. and NO ONE is exploiting anyone anywhere near as much as illegals exploit the USA.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:46 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• We had a local guy do an experiment at one of those corners where these illegals stand to get jobs and he said many of these guys won't work for minimum wage. They want $15 -18 an hour on average. A good portion of them don't even have families here but they are sending money home. Well, I guess thats logical they think they need more since they are sending much of it back home. They still need to live here. This is crazy, illegal is illegal and no amount of "poor people talk" is going to convince me otherwise. I say stop them, round them up and send them back.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:01 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• How can illegal aliens support a family on less than minimum wage? They live a few families to a house to save on rent and eat together to make their dollars stretch further.   

Why is it okay to exploit illegal aliens to keep food prices low?  It's not okay, but for some reason some people don't have a problem with it as long as it means they get their consumables cheap.

Isn't it discrimination to support the exploitation of another race/nationality? Yes, yes it is.

If you support exploitation, what does that make you?  I believe people adhering to these ideals would be considered racists.  But knowing how that word has been overused for so long, it doesn't carry the stigma it once deserved. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:56 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• You CAN be against illegal immigration without being racist. To some, it has NOTHING to do with race, but rather the fact that they're breaking the law.

I know.  I fit into that category.  I don't support illegal immigration, nor do I want them working jobs for any wages unless they are doing so legally.  I don't think it's right to exploit anyone of any color or origin.  They are breaking the law by being here illegally and I feel that they need to be sent back to where they came from and start over taking the legal route into this country.   My point was that if you support the status quo and like your consumables cheap and easy, then you are exploiting the people that are working those jobs. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:15 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• If you support exploitation, what does that make you?

I've asked on several occasions why those who support illegal immigration are so happy to support child labor and abusive labor practices in general - it's about a step above slavery. I've yet to receive a single answer. At best I get irrational tirades from people who need to take their meds.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:38 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I don't think that it's right to employ illegal aliens at all. It's also against the law.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:49 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I want to add...I've worked in many different jobs fields in which illegal aliens were employed, and they NEVER got less than minimum wage. Many got way more than minimum wage. People always argue that they're getting paid so little, when in reality, that's not the truth. Some may, but definitely not all. At the same time, if they're going to work here illegally, with both the employee and employer breaking the law, do they really have a right to expect a higher wage? If they want to get paid enough to support a family, they need to go through the process to work here legally. I'm not going to argue in the case of someone who is breaking the law by even living in this country. Those jobs that they have should go to our legal citizens.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:54 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Quinn, I'm not surprised it's extremely quiet on this question. Who wants to admit their basic beliefs are prejudicial?   It's much easier to scream racism at those who oppose illegal immigration than it is to admit you want cheap strawberries and are will to exploit other nationalities to get it. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:35 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I agree with much of what others are saying here especially concerning how IIs survive on so little.

I'd like to hear the answers from an II- do they feel exploited? do they feel others (their employers) are racists? would they prefer the alternative?

Lastly, I think we're looking at how future generations of people will be living in the industrialized nations- multi-generations living together. With the collapse of family sustaining jobs, and people expected to work in to their 70s (further eliminating positions for younger workers) THAT is quite likely our new reality!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:56 AM on Jul. 4, 2010