Makeup

Does it really matter what brand of makeup you wear? Is there really any difference in the high dollar stuff and the cheaper stuff?

My3LittleGirls

Asked by My3LittleGirls at 9:47 AM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Not to me there isn't. I've used both and haven't seen any difference in the results in either. Look at the ingredients. The first 2 to 3 ingredients are the main ones. Look at shampoo. The first ingredient is usually water, then I think it's ammonium laurel sulfate. It's the same in all brands. Example: I have 2 bottles of shampoo here...one is Suave, which is pretty cheap. The other bottle is Biolage, which is pretty expensive...$15-$20 for a bottle. They have the same ingredients in them.
    morningglory1

Answer by morningglory1 at 9:53 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Sometimes I think it does matter what brand, like I can not seem to find a black eyeliner that stays put until I found Avon's glimmersticks. You pay for quality and pigment so I suppose it depends on your definition of cheap! :)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 9:49 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Sometimes there is...I love bare minerals for foundation and I wear covergirl mascara. It is about what you like and can afford I guess.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• www.allnaturalcosmetics.com is a good place to go if you are concerned about ingredients and are willing to pay a little more. i think if you don't want hazardous materials and/ or carcinogens on your face, then this is worth the extra money.

happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I wear department store makeup if I'm going to be using liquid foundation (usually only in the winter) because I have a hard time matching my skin at the drug store where there aren't any testers. I wear minerals in the summer, and I order those online because the ones in the dept store are too shiny for me. I a;ways read labels and yes, some of the ingredients are the same for high end and low end.
    I do subscribe to beautypedia.com (Paula Begoun's site) where she often gives raves for drugstore, as well as high end makeup and skin care. I hate trying things blind so this helps me weed out the lousy stuff. I found a great concealer at the drugstore based on her recs.
    dflygirl7

Answer by dflygirl7 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I sell Avon and my daughter works at Macy's in their makeup dept. so we often compare products. Many times we find that Avon is just as good at a fraction of the cost. But it still depends on what looks best on you, what colors you like and so on. Things like mascara is usually just as good at a cheaper level but many times you can't get the colors you like in all products.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• It matters as you get older. Unless you really are starting to see age, you are not going to notice a difference. Trust me, when I got into my middle 30's, it really made a wonderful difference! I love MAC makeup on me, and I also love Merle Norman. Everything else, just doesn't do the coverage trick!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:14 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I think there is a difference but that's not saying the high dollar stuff is any better. My skin reacts differently to different products so I just have to test them and see what works for me. Personally, I like Mary Kay for foundation, but otherwise I use Cover Girl and Revlon most. =)
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 5:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I never used to wear makeup, still don't a lot, but I REALLY like Mary Kay makup because it feels so light, and stays on well. I like it so much actually that I decided to sell it so I could pay for the skin care and makeup I like. :) And to think I used to never wash my face (aside from showering of course).

squish

Answer by squish at 7:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2010