Should a mother have to defend her choice to breastfeed or formula feed?

I was just watching a Sunday morning news program and there was a segment on a woman who wrote an article defending her choice to formula feed. It got me to think-- Should a woman have to defend formula feeding if this is her choice?

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 9:58 AM on Jul. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, she shouldn't. It's honestly no one else's business. As long as her child is fed, loved and healthy, no one has any right to tell her that what she's doing is wrong.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:05 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• She shouldn't have to defend her choice. But I think it is good to hear from mothers about why they made the choice they did. It speaks to the other mothers who are trying to make an educated choice as to breast feed or bottle feed their infant. Some people just need to know their choice is a good one too. I had a mother who felt guilty bottle feeding because she was very uncomfortable breast feeding. I personally feel that if you have that much anxiety about it, it won't be good for you or the baby. Doctors need to do a better job of making mothers feel comfortable with their choice. They sometimes make you feel like you are a terrible mother if you don't breast feed. Its a bonding experience and if mama doesn't like it, it just won't work.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:06 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• If I ever mention about BF around a FF mom she always has to explain herself, it's so annoying..."

That's because FF moms are very often made to feel inferior to BF mothers. They're definitely not inferior at all, but a lot of people push that perception. After being offended so many times, you eventually start to defend yourself.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:06 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• No. We all make choices about how to raise our children. If someone WANTS to explain her choice, fine. But no one should feel like they have to defend formula vs breast feeding.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 10:00 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• She shouldn't have to, but some moms who breastfeed seem to feel entitled to superiority and judgment. I can see why formula feeding moms would try to get breastfeeding moms to understand their perspective a little better. As a breastfeeding mom, the attitude some who breastfeed convey embarrasses me. I have no issues with an informed mom deciding formula is better for her situation. What we feed our infants doesn't define us as parents.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 10:14 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• nope, she should not...

Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:59 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• It's her choice! As long as she's feeding the kid!
    morningglory1

Answer by morningglory1 at 10:00 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Probably not going to like this but, IMO it's like FF moms feel guilty or something.

If I ever mention about BF around a FF mom she always has to explain herself, it's so annoying...
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 10:03 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• No one should have to defend themselves on the choices they make that are for their children. If a child is getting fed and well taken care of then that really is all that should matter to anyone. I do feel that I let myself down, but honestly there was nothing I could do. I tried ot BF but when you are bleeding from your nipples it isn't a good situation for either you or the baby. If someone sees that as defending my position then I am going to.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 10:12 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• no, ppl make ff seem bad or something every mother can't bf so they do whats best for them and their child ppl need to learn to respect the mother's decision at least she is feeding her child
    baby1mom

Answer by baby1mom at 10:08 AM on Jul. 4, 2010