Proper punishment for climbing on computer desk/kitchen table?

My son is 15 months old and he has been climbing small stuff for a while, but here recently he has started climbing bigger things and I am so afraid he is going to get seriously hurt. I've tried time outs but it just doesn't work, I can put him back 50 times but when time out is over he will go straight back to whatever he was doing. What can I do to make him stop doing this?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 10:59 AM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get on his level and tell him no and say, but you can climb on this... Show him something else he can climb on.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 11:08 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My daughter is 22 months old and we've been having problems with her climbing on the kitchen table. We've been taking her off of it and sitting her down and telling her no.. but it wasn't working. She waits until we turn our backs or aren't paying attention and does it. So we've started popping her on her hands and so far that has worked.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 11:13 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Climber's are a hard one, I would just take them down over and over and tell them no. My climber fell off the table twice and was never phased by it. My hubby would get freaked out by it though and I swear that made it more fun for my LO, so I just stayed calm and eventualy it stopped.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:15 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• At times the only way they learn their lesson is by getting hurt. Just hope he doesn't get hurt bad and it just scares him so that he learns his lesson. Do keep doing what your doing but children at that age do get hurt.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Taking them down over and over doesn't work. The only way we learn is by example. Unfortuanately she is going to havhe to fall from something to really undertand. Trust me you can't be there every time. She will fall oneday. It may not necessary be from the computer desk... which I hope that doesn't happen. How do we learn not to touch hot things? We touched it. Now we know. Popping the hands is good, but she still will not know why until she actually falls. I know I will get chewed out on my answer. Particularly from new moms. Sorry I am a vet mom. I am not saying I am more knowledgeable. However, experience experience is our best teacher. My oldest child is 23. I've been there done that. I hope my thoughts are helpful to someone. That is why I am here.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 11:21 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I agree that climbers are climbers so you just have to watch out for them. My grandson was scaling the cabinets and refrigerator at that age! As a parent you want to protect but what if he's practicing for climbing Mt Everest? You don't want to stifle that desire to climb or tell him it's wrong and he not follow his internal desires to find happiness. So just guide him. See if dad will buy or build him some sort of jungle gym to climb or a kid's rock wall. If that is not an option get some cushions and let him climb those with you sharing his adventure. Kids think all things are an adventure. Just enjoy it with him. Soon enough he will be climbing the ladder of success in school and business and be gone. Savor these moments watching him climb to be who he is meant to be

Answer by admckenzie at 11:30 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Just keep up what you're doing and remember that kids are a lot tougher than we give them credit for. Like others have said, the only way he'll really learn is by falling. And, even then he may continue to climb thinking it wasn't so bad.
    I climbed trees from the time I was 3 until 16. I always fell, but it wasn't so bad. It took a very broken leg at 16 to make me stop. Just remember that broken bones heal. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Well if there is a way to keep him from getting to the table such as a baby gate I would be using it...if not then what I do for my son is tap his leg and tell him we do not stand up on any of the furniture. He knows when he isn't suppose to do it, bc he will set down immediately as I walk over to him. He doesn't do it very often but when he does I stay consistant. Whatever you choose as a punishment stay consistant with it. If your toddler is still in a crib, put them in the crib for there time out (if they aren't climbing out that is). That also works for my son when he is just throwing fits. Good luck momma
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:37 PM on Jul. 4, 2010